1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Need Help With ASUS W10 Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BGBG, Nov 26, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Turn on. Black screen, no icons. Click what is shown and nothing happens. Only thing on black screen is the Recycle Bin top left corner.
    Troubleshooter said it fixed the No Audio problem it found.
    Turn off. Turn back on. Same thing. In lower left tray there is Windows icon, a magnifying glass Search icon, a Task View icon, and Play Audio icon, none of which respond. Some icons in lower right tray but also none respond to mouse clicks.
    Happened after an automatic windows update ran then screen went black. Unplug, plug back in, turn off, restart.....nothing helps.
    What could be wrong and what do I do? Have had NO trouble with machine since purchased. I have never had anything like this happen though 7 computers in period 1998 on to now. No idea why, what is happening or what to do. Starts and shuts off but nothing shows up and mouse does nothing.

Now unplugged and on battery power. Kept pushing power button. Finally came on to a blank blue screen with a moving circle of white dots and says "PLEASE WAIT". 5 minutes now and still same. Plugged back in. No change. Replace mouse battery. Cursor moves around on screen, keys and mouse do nothing. Just the blank blue Please Wait screen. No icons, tray or anything. I am stumped. Nothing seems to work.

Finally mouse clicking on screen put various windows up that I do not understand so unplugged cord, shut down, and quit for the night. No cause found, know no solution.

It went through series of blue screens that said Do Nothing-Leave Everything To Us and finally a white box that said "C\Windows\System32\Config\System profile\Desktop is unavailable. OK. Clicked OK, box went away, and now black screen with few icons that do not work. Do not know what to do. Any suggestions???????

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Have you tried accessing Safe Mode?

Does it load properly in Safe Mode?

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That's a common problem. You can try a system restore. That might work but don't hold your breath. You may end up reloading Windows.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I cannot access anything for mouse and keys do nothing, nothing responds, and I do not have a windows 10 installation disc. May have to just take it to local PC shop. Tried it again today and nothing useful happens. My wife uses it so I know little about it. Just happened after a windows update finished.

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    If the laptop is on, then force it to shut down by holding the power button in for a few seconds. Turn it on, and as soon as you see Windows start to load, hold down the power button to force a shutdown. If you do this 2 or 3 times, Windows will go into automatic repair. If the automatic repair fails, then choose whatever option you see for additional repair options. Once there, you'll see something like the following picture. From there, go into "Advanced Options" and you'll see System Restore.

3871e68815f1ee494ed15e8f169a1935.png

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I tried this. No other options ever appeared and got message saying "A problem is preventing troubleshooter from starting. May just take it t PC shop. Tanks for the suggestion. Wish it had worked. Never saw this picture. Only message boxes which said what was not working.

7. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Is this what you saw?

Attached Files:

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes I saw one of these but this one looks upside down. But it is same box. I also recall a troubleshooter telling me to plug in an ethernet cable but I did not. But I see I DO have an ethernet plugged into the router and the other end is not plugged in. I was using it with another PC that had something wrong with the wireless adaptor when I first had Verizon router installed.Will try the ethernet cable tomorrow. Want to try all I can to see if I can fix it somehow.

9. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Is there any data on that system that you wan to recover in case it need to be wiped and reinstalled?

You can create a Windows 10 Disk
    Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

There should be a recover partition that will set the system back to factory if it come to it.

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Booting to a Windows 10 USB stick will give the System Restore option, or as Rusty said, you can restore to factory condition. You restore to factory condition by tapping away at F9 as soon as you turn on the laptop.

11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have not given up yet and would really like to fix it myself if I can with system restore instead of taking it to shop and pay someone to tell me it is not fixable. It is not an emergency or necessity for I have at least 2 working laptops and 4 desktops I have not even tried for quite awhile. I used to back up everything I did to external HDD but lately I just use email and internet without thinking of backups, but I still hate to lose things. I am going to try some of the above and plugging it in to router, then see if I can use any of above methods cheap or free. PC is only several tears old and have no trouble with it and have only had any in shop only one time.
    Got a lot on the plate right now though and very little time to devote. I cannot imaging what happened to PC or that a windows update could do it. Will post back if have any luck or more to say. Thank You.
    BTW, I do not know what a Windows 10 USB stick is.

12. IJAC

IJAC CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Windows 10 USB stick is when you download the media creation tool from Microsoft and create a windows 10 boot device so you can boot to the USB and update or reinstall windows 10.I just went through what you are going through I tried everything I found on the internet and nothing worked.I had to make a USB boot device to reinstall windows this was on a HP desktop.What happened is the update MS pushed through didn't install correctly.So to answer your question yes windows big updates as the one that is numbered 1809 did and will mess up some computers.If you reinstall from the USB stick as I did I did a upgrade and it put my files in a folder called windows old.Good luck and I hope you can get it going I was baffled my self so I can feel you frustration.
    IJAC

Tony D likes this.
  13. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    To clarify, the Windows 10 USB stick also contains repair functions which includes System Restore. Unfortunately, given the circumstances, it's most likely the restore points are corrupt, and Windows will show the proverbial "No restore points have been made".

Tony D likes this.
  14. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    That is what happened to me the restore points would not work.Thanks for adding that Seth I forgot about that part.
    IJAC

15. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You're welcome.

It looks like a clean install is the only viable solution. In this particular case, restoring it to factory condition via F9 will be far easier for BGBG to do than the USB method. Especially given Asus's wonky BIOS settings steps to get the laptop to boot from a USB stick.

EDIT:

Instead of a boot menu hot key, you have to go through this nonsense to USB boot on an Asus computer:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013017/

Then of course there is Asus's nonsense of partitioning the drive so that the C drive is very small.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  16. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I noticed that worked on a few Asus pc's and the C: drive was small and of course the customer had no idea why the HD was full.Thanks for the link it will come in handy if I get another Asus in.Thanks for the link it will come in handy if I get a Asus in.

17. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I get about a call a month for that IJAC, and Windows only allows you to merge the partitions if the partitions are side by side...and low and behold, they are not. To merge the partitions, a third party partition tool has to be used.

18. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    That's a bummer why do they make so hard for us ,thanks for the tip. I think I will advise anyone to not buy a Asus PC or laptop.Hope the op has good luck getting laptop up and running.

19. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    IJAC: That sounds good and it is likely what went wrong. If I can figure out what to do from the above I will try it out. Thanks.

20. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The Asus is an ASUS Notebook Model X555LA-HI31103J. Going to see if I can learn size of C drive. My Dell Inspiron 4040 says C drive is 108GB Used Space and 215 GB Free space. I have gone to manual updating instead of automatic so I can choose what and when I update. But thee seems to be plaenty of space on that. Have never filled up a C drive.
    Suppose C rive is full on ASUS. What things could I consider deleting? I have some external drives I could put needed things onto.

I do not have a license to install windows 10 or a windows 10 installation disc. If the F9 thing works will I lose all the data I have on the PC? I would like to simply restore to an earlier restore point if possible. This is stuff I have little or no understanding of. But willing to try.

What happens when I tap over and over on F9 key? Where does this take me and what do I then do? Is this correct? :

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-asus-laptop-factory-settings-53444.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018