1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Trying to Up Grade a old HP for my Mother

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by jdsmithiv, Feb 10, 2021.

1. jdsmithiv

jdsmithiv Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    my mom service provider recently improved their inter net service. use to be 60mb down now speeds can be up to 400mb down.

she has been having problems and had them come out and check the service. the technician said that it's her network card can't handle the new speeds she should get a 10/100/1000 mb card, and that she also should get a video card, the graphic are integrated and even before they upgraded their service she had problem from time to time with it.

i've tried to find info on the net, no luck. HP won't even talk to me about it. just keeps on want me to use the detect tool or automated chat bot.

Model # of computer is CQ2014
    her ethernet card now is a 10/100mb : Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

i've opened the the tower and it appears to only have one slot for PCI-E. also the network card/adapter plug looks to be integrated into the motherboard. so if i had to choose between graphics and network i'll go with network.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome jdsmithiv, You can get those fast Internet connections, but I doubt you're going to see a difference if only one or two computers are connected to the Internet. The only users who benefit from the higher speeds are those who have several users connected at home and are doing takes like streaming video simultaneously. Personally I'm on a 50 mb download plan. I stream to my TV, or to a number of mobile devices in addition to having a couple of computers, smart speakers, and cameras connected. I see no issues at all.

Are you having any connection issues like buffering?

3. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Is there a spare USB port? You culd go with a USB to Ethernet adapter or what about going wireless with a USB Wifi Adapter?

That said, her tech should have checked but I would start with a new Ethernet cable. Those are very cheap, fragile and easily damaged but critical network devices. If her gateway device (typically the modem or router) has more than one port to connect a computer too, I would try a different port too.

While certainly a card that supports 1Gbps (1000Mbps) would better support 1Gbps networks, 100Mbps is still very fast as Tony noted and most likely fast enough for her needs - especially if her needs have not changed.

As far as a graphics card, the problem there is power (and maybe cooling). Factory made computers are notorious for including power supplies that are barely adequate to support the hardware they come with. Graphics solutions are power hungry, often the most power hungry devices in our computers, even more so than CPUs. So it is not uncommon to need a new PSU to support a new graphics card - especially when going from integrated to a separate card.

And graphics cards need cool air. It may be necessary to add another case fan to address a graphics card's cooling needs.

How much RAM is installed? That might be the better (and less expensive) option - depending on how much is in there now. Integrated graphics steals... err... "shares" a decent size chunk of the system RAM. Adding more RAM will not only provide more memory for the graphics solution, but also more RAM for Windows and her running programs. Again, depending on how much is in there now, adding more RAM could provide a significant bang for the money.

One big caveat is the operating system thought. If 32-bit, it will only recognize 4GB of RAM. If 64-bit Windows, you are in luck - assuming the motherboard will support more. If possible, I would go for 8GB.

You can use the Crucial Memory Advisor to determine what's in there now, and what it will support. You can download and run their automated memory wizard or enter the specs manually. You don't have to buy from Crucial directly, but if you do buy suggested RAM from them, the guarantee compatibility. Most other RAM makers have similar memory wizards.

On the plus side, most factory included power supplies can easily support an added network interface card and more RAM.

4. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    [QUOTE="Tony D, post: 216080, member: 2921"

Are you having any connection issues like buffering?[/QUOTE]

reel high ping,, any where from 85ms to 125ms, sometimes longer, and extremely high buffer bloat, pegs the meter, according to DSL Reports. shows up when loading webpages and sometimes when streaming.. she has two computers running off the same router less then 15 feet apart both wired, she's doesn't trust wifi ever since she saw a report of people stealing identity off of it years ago. the second a dell gets any where from 385 to 425 megs down and 29 to 35 megs up, pages load instantly, but it also has extremely high buffer bloat going by DSL Reports. problem didn't start until after they increased the speed.

tech couldn't answer why the high buffer bloat. and everything else checked fine. the tech and i both moved both cables to all four ports on router and still get the same results.

did some investigating and found USB network adapters. cheap enough i'm gonna order one and try it.

5. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10

just found the USB adapters, i also found out that there are no PCI+E slots( see link). so screwed on the graphics, unless i buy a graphics card dock and upgrade power supply. the computer output is only 65wats. memory is good has 16 megs now and can handle 32.

i did some search and finally found this the motherboard specs.

link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03014811

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What are you getting when pinging the router? Should be 1-3 ms.

7. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10

i just use DSL Reports for speed testing, best i've found. it has always been ben between the 35ms to 60 ms range at my house ( i live across the road from her) and her house and we both have the same provider which is Mediacom

this is from today, lows are the CQ2014, highs are the Dell ping on the dell today has been around 46 to 50 ms CQ2014 72 to 90ms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'd like to see you ping your router. The result will tell us if there's a problem with your network or with the ISP.

Do you know how to get to a command prompt? If yes do an IPCONFIG/ALL and determine the address of your default gateway. Then ping that gateway. The result should be 1-3 ms.

If you don't know how to do that, tell me what OS you're running - Windows 7, 8, or 10.

9. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10

ok, it will be later on tonight, shes gone right now and i left my key over there. i've never done IPCONFIG/AL before i know how to do command prompt. running windows 10

so IPCONFIG/AL then enter, then should there be only one gateway address or more.?

oh i also have reset the network and used JV16 powertools to change the address once.

10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes. The Default Gateway will be that address of your router. The ping to that should be very short.

The address may be 192.168.1.1. To ping it, type ping 192.168.1.1. If you come up with some other address for your Default Gateway, just use that IP address in your ping. Also, tell me that you find is the Default Gateway.

11. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    ok i expect her back in about a hour or so. then i'll run it and post a screen shot instead of all that typing. i got short stubby fingers and have to hunt and peck other wise.

12. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yeah, that's too bad. Some Mini-ITX boards do support one PCIe slot to add a graphics card. But you are right, that one does not. There are USB graphics adapters to have their own power supply so you would not need to change that one out. But at some point you have to weigh the cost of upgrades for an older computer to the cost of new computer.

IJAC likes this.
  13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Indeed

IJAC likes this.
  14. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    here is the screen shot,

Attached Files:

15. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thank you for that. That report shows your internal network if fine. Note the ping to 192.168.0.1 is 1 ms. Can't get any better than that.
    Try sending a ping to Google. ping www.google.com
    I'm running 8 ms which is pretty good.

16. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    from command prompt correct?

Attached Files:

17. jdsmithiv

Operating System:
    Windows 10

i told her that, but she's older school than me.

18. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That's exactly what I was looking for. The ping to Google was 32 ms. That's a good deal longer than my 8 ms.
    You're using IPv6 addresses. Any idea why you're not using IPv4 addresses?

Please do one more test for me ping 142.250.80.4 That's Google's IPv4 address.

19. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I'm just North of the Montana border and my ping to google.com is a consistent 24ms.

20. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    What do you mean by "high buffer bloat"? If buffering occurs with streaming video, it could mean an internet problem, or just old hardware. It's also dependent on the resolution of the streaming video.

Like Tony, I only have 50 down, and can stream 4K video with no issue on 2 different computers.

I only skimmed through the whole thread, but ISP throttling also comes to mind.

Tony D likes this.