1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

My Screw Up

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by BSchwarz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

I use an Mac Pro as my main computer. I also have a Dell XPS 8300 that I use for work stuff. I was programming a new layer to our database software. The Oracle drivers were a little long in the tooth so I was doing a re-write. I had just finished and started the compiler in debug mode. About a minute into compile time the Dell started screaming like a rocket. I wanted to get this done so I let the task finish and when there were no errors I did the final compile, committed it to the server and shutdown.

I took the side of the case off and didn't see anything wrong. I hit the start button and she sounded like a rocket with a rattle this time. I unplugged all the fans with the exception of the processor fan. Still noisy. I then used my finger to stop the CPU fan for a second. Still loud as heck. Only thing left is the power supply. Stuck a pen in the fan to stop it. Box is quiet as a mouse.

I head to Best Buy and pick up a new power supply. Corsair 650w modular. Bring it home and put it in. Fire up the box and get a missing boot device error. Restart and head into bios. My SSD boot drive is not listed. I think I messed up the SSD somehow so back to Best Buy I go. I buy a new Intel 256 Gig SSD. I pop it in and get ready to do an OS install. Hit F12 to boot to USB and start the install. The only drives listed to install too are the 4 I in an external SATA enclosure. Something not right. Shutdown, remove new SSD and put old one back in. While I'm in there this time I notice a marking on the PS by the plugins for the cables. Top 2 are for SATA power and bottom 2 for peripherals. What a dummy. I had the drives hooked up to the wrong place. Move them were they should be and she fires right up and is quiet as a church mouse.

The moral of this. Anyone can make a mistake. Even if you think you know it all always double check your work. In my case it cost me for an SSD drive I didn't need.

2. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    I find rushing and being tired are the biggest mistakes to make, I've spent hours trying to solve problems, then the next morning with coffee in hand, solved it in seconds :(

But the important thing is it's fixed and as for a spare SSD, I'm sure you'll find a use for it :)

3. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You can always send the spare SSD to me :thmbup:
    Otherwise, rushing to get a job done is the usual fatal error, you miss seeing something or doing something and then because there is a rush you don't check. Been there too many times at work when the customer wants his stuff yesterday. I have eventually learned, "To hang with the customer, he waits while I check that I got it right"
    Also as Match said, tired after a full day of problems, forget it till tomorrow is best.

Nev.

4. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

One of the problems is this is the first modular PS I've ever used. I had no idea that there were specific ports for sata. It was rather a tight fit to get the cables in the slots I needed to use. I should have connected the cables first. Instead I put the PS in the box and then connected everything. I always did it this way. Now I know when dealing with modular supplies connect the cables first then put it in the box.

5. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Thanks I'll remember that :) Modular PS Cables First :D

6. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I say that this demands a keel haul at the least. ;)