1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

My PC won't boot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Andrei23, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Andrei23

Andrei23

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello!
    Yesterday there was a power outage in the morning that lasted for a couple of minutes. When it happened my PC was shut down so I don't think there was any damage done to it. Later in the day I booted up my PC and it opened the BIOS menu. I didn't change anything, just pressed "Default settings & exit" and then my PC worked normally for a couple of hours.
    When I tried to shut it down, after the power button on the case turned off, the PC stayed offline for 2 seconds and then turned itself back on. It did this multiple times so I Googled a fix, but I was unsuccesful. Because I had to go somewhere I thought it would be a good idea to press the power switch on the PSU in order to keep it off. Then, when I returned a couple of hours later, I pressed the switch again and tried to boot it, but nothing happened. I tried plugging out every peripheral, taking out the power cord, leaving it disconnected for hours but it still doesn't work.
    The computer receives some power as I can see two lights in the internet port in the back of the case.
    I have to mention that something similar has happened multiple times, most recently 2-3 weeks ago, but I don't remember what I did to make it boot up again, other than plugging the unit in and out.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Andrei. There is always power feeding your PC even when it is shut down. As long as it's plugged into an active electrical outlet the power supply is alive. It's busy supplying a standby voltage to the system board. That allows it to watch the power button. When you press the power button, the board then tells the PSU to turn on the other voltages which energize the lights, the hard drive, optical drive, and other parts of the board. So even if it's shut down, parts of it are still alive.

A surge when the power came back on could have damaged the PSU. Not only that, but a surge could have propagated thru to the board. You need to determine if the power supply is good. Do that either by testing it or swapping it out.

The fact that it came up to the BIOS menu and that it turned itself back on after being shut down indicate a possible problem with the board. Look for a PSU problem first - that's easier and less costly to fix.

IJAC likes this.
  3. Andrei23

Andrei23

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello and thank you for your answer!
    Fortunately there was no need for changing neither the PSU nor the motherboard.
    What I did to make it work this time: I took out the small battery on the motherboard, waited a few minutes and then I put it back in. Now it works like a charm and it actually stays off when I shut it down. (I disabled fast boot in the BIOS, I will experiment with this to see if it was the problem)

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks for the great news. Wish I could explain what happened. At least now you know a bit more about the electrons flowing around in your computer.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and IJAC like this.
: Boot, Power