1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] My new AMD Ryzen 3900x system keeps turning back on after Full Shutdown

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by liberty610, Dec 7, 2019.

1. liberty610

liberty610 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory:
    G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
    Graphics Card:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Power Supply:
    Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Hello all,

I am having an odd issue with my new motherboard/system. I just swapped out my Threadripper 1950x and Gigabyte x399 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard for a Ryzen 3900x and Gigabyte x570 Xtreme board. So far, I have no issues with the performance. I have not done any overclocking, and everything has been stable without any crashes.

Here is my full parts list vis PC Part Picker:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

I have installed the latest Bios version; F10; from Gigabyte's website. I also have downloaded the latest chipset drivers and individual drivers for all the components that are Windows 10 1909 supported (as the Windows version I am running is 1909).

One 3 known occasions now, my system has powered itself back from a full shutdown state. I powered it down before heading out for a bit the other morning. and when I came home it was powered on. When I logged into my main user account, task manager said system up time was 4 hours and some change, which meant it kicked back on shortly after I had powered it down.

Last night I had done a full shut down, and while working on another build for a friend, my system powered itself back on. This time I actually saw it do it. At this point, I started researching what could been causing it. Here are some steps I have taken to try to prevent it from doing it.

In BIOS, I double checked to make sure fast boot was off, which it has been since I installed the BIOS. I turned off 'Wake Up On LAN" after the first time it turned itself back on, but the issue continues. Since it turned back on last night, I have gone into Windows Power Settings and changed the following under the Sleep tree:
    -Sleep After: Never
    -Hibernate: Never
    -Allow Wake Times: Never

I also went into device manager and turned off 'Allow this device to wake PC" under the mouse and keyboard settings. After I made this changes, I clicked on the start icon, and click 'Shut down". It shut all the way down, and I tapped on my keyboard and mouse a little bit to make sure they where not going to trigger a boot up. It stayed powered down, and I left the room. Later on when I came back to the PC, and it was booted up again and task manager said it was up almost 4 hours, which means the system stayed shut down for about an hour and a half, if that, before it booted back up.

Does anyone have anything else I could try? I would just keep the kill switch off for now, but I really don't want to do that. I know the Ryzen 3900x and x570 is still relatively new and there is not a lot about this board online yet. I have not attempted to contact Gigabyte yet.. That's my next step on Monday when they have support lines open.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    One thing to check is the power supply. The power supply provides a standby voltage to the board. This allows the board to monitor the power switch waiting for you to press the button. Then the board sends a signal to the power supply to turn the computer on by sending the green wire to ground.

Check the cables to ensure they are seated properly. You could disconnect the cable to the power switch temporarily. That would rule out a faulty power switch and associated cabling.

3. liberty610

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Power Supply:
    This thought did come to mind after posting this. So I did check the cables for the front panel header. Those appear to be seeded properly at least. I'll double check for other potential issues.

On another forum, there is a user experiencing the same issue on his Asus x570 board and he said it started after the last bios update. He said there is a new bios update for his board he plans on trying. For now, I've been hitting the kill switch on my PSU after shutdown.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That'll work

5. liberty610

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Power Supply:
    So, I contacted Gigabyte support yesterday to see what they had to say about this matter. I am happy to report that their suggestion has seem to fix my issue, as I shut down 3 times in the last 24 hours without any random boot ups, including an over night shut down.

I am not sure which device was causing the boot up, but the Gigabyte rep suggested to enable the ErP setting in my Bios, as one of my connected devices seemed to triggering the PC to boot from it's low power stage. Since enabling that option, I have not had any boot ups unless I trigger them with my power button on the case.

Thanks for the suggestions Tony!

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks for the followup. I'll keep that in mind going forward. Found this
    So something was waking up the machine.

7. liberty610

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Power Supply:
    Yea, he told me what the setting was going to do. I have no idea what was doing it though, because I went through and turned off all the options in Windows for the mouse/keyboard, the event wake ups, and had already turned off wake up on lan the first time I saw it boot up by itself.

He said one of the possibilities was one of my PCIe expansion cards I have for analog video capturing could have been doing it some how.

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds reasonable - that's it's one of the cards.