1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Multiple PC's Data Management

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BGBG, Oct 9, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Does anyone have suggestions how to best manage several computers with different data on each so not have keep 3 computers on all the time while working and going to which to search for file, folder or data you need? I thought at first there might be a way to network them together to access any that are turne on, but that seemed complicated and I was not sure if or how to do it, or if it were the best way.
    I have 2laptops in same room on same desk with different data and keep the in standby/sleep when not in use by closing lid. I have an original Compaq Presario 5660 desktop and these 3 have most all my important data on them. The desk top is in next room. I have Verizon internet with a modem. The Compaq plugs into modem with Ethernet. The Dell 7 laptop has internal wireless adapter. The Gateway XP has D link wireless USB adapter because internal does not work so the PC shop said. I constantly have to go to one PC, find it does not have the data, then go to another, and finally a 3rd and all may not be already on. I tend to collect lots of files and folders and am not always sure what is where.
    I also have 3 or 4 large USB external hard disk drives where I could copy much data if wished to. Then I would have to prepare them with the PC hard drive data from each PC so accessible. It would seem easy to have one or two of these connected and access them But then the dats worked with would have to added to PCs.
    The whole thing seemed so impossible I never did anything or tried further.
    Someone must have several PCs and lots of data and hopefully would know some way to approach this.
    I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Where does this connect? Is it different than standard large capacity USB external HDD's ?

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The second paragraph in Tony's live link, he provided.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    It's not an external hard drive that you're familiar with. It doesn't connect to your computer. It connects directly to your router. All your files you want to access from any computer at any time are stored on the NAS, not on a computer.

6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sometimes I fear I say modem when the word should be router. But I shall look into this. Probably better to do it this way. Thanks.

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Do these connect to the router in order to access wirelessly other computer data? Are they better than put folders and files on an external hard drive? And are there smaller cheaper ones? I would hardly need a 4TB one I should think. Looking for simple and cheap way to access data on maybe 2 or 3 PCs, like maybe an older one and two newer ones. Not sure any of these hard drives large enough to hold all but I could try tranferring what I need and have same data on all. Or onto and external drive. Being unfamiliar with NAS it is hard to know if this would classify as a simple economical solution. What got me thinking was that the 3, 4, or 5 PCs dated form 1998 - 2016, W98se, Wxp, W7, W10 all have different data but to access I have to go to that PC and startup and search for what I may want. Maybe that IS the best way, or to put it on a 500 GB external USB HDD? Not really sure.

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I mentioned in post #5 that they connect to your router.
    As far as simple, it's not simple. However it's simpler that setting up file sharing on multiple machines that are running various operating systems. You said you wanted to access files even if a computer isn't running. That means the files can not be on a computer. If you don't want to use a NAS device, you can research One Drive.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks, Tony. This is new to me so I will have to research all my options.