1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] MS Pulls A Sneaky On Me

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by musician65, Jun 25, 2013.

1. musician65

musician65 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was one hot tamale last night. As I went to turn the computer off, it said an update was going to be installed. I wondered what was up, because it took 5 minutes or more to do it. I decided to reboot to see just what this "update" was. Internet Exploder 10!! I did not have a choice, it just did it.
    Sure enough, the eye straining clear type could not be turned off, not only that, it even blurred my windows live mail emails! Talk about red hot mad!

I like to have never found the program to uninstall it, but finally did after about 30 minutes of digging. I got my IE 8 back and all is working and fine again. What right does MS have to shove these things down our throats with no warning or choice, disguising it as an "update"? I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? My primary browswer is Firefox anyway, but I use IE 8 because I can play a game or two on the internet with it. Firefox doesn't have whatever it needs to play those games.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That's what happens when you have updates set to automatic.
    The same update will come down again unless you manually install any updates and then choose to "Hide Update"

3. musician65

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well as soon as I FIGURE OUT how to do that, I will.
    Thanks

4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Go start > Control panel > Windows Updates.
    From the tree on the left click on "Change Settings"
    Under "Important Updates" click on the down arrow and set to " Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
    Then click the "OK" box.
    Next time you click on Windows Updates you can highlight each one and see what they are.

In the list of available updates, right-click any update that you don’t want to see again, and choose Hide Update. If you later change your mind—or if you just want to see a list of the updates you’ve chosen to hide—on the main Windows Update page, click Restore Hidden Updates.

5. musician65

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sounds good. Thanks!

6. musician65

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    One more question now. How often to I need to check for updates since I am doing it manually now? I saw three important ones, but one was for XP, which I don't even have, so I bypassed it and installed two for Windows 7 Framework. As it said "important", I thought I'd best snag those two for 7 Framework.;)
    Thanks~

7. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Once a week should be ample as updates are normally released every Tuesday.

You will still get a popup in your task bar when updates are available for download.

2am here. Rest time for me.:)

8. musician65

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sounds good! Tue. is when I pay for the hamburger I had on Monday. ;) That will be easy to remember! Side note: Speedtest.net is a bummer. I just switched to Suddenlink high speed internet and getting ping results of down around 5mbps while my internet surfing is zippy as ever. Don't trust that speed test site anymore. Snooze well and thanks for your help! :)