1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

MP3 Bitrate

Discussion in 'General Software' started by biferi, Sep 6, 2017.

1. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I wanted to ake something about MP3 Bitrates?

I always take my Music CDs and make MP3 to put on my MP3 Player.

So I always use a MP3 Bitrate of 128kbps.
    So it sounds good without taking to mutch Disc Space.

And years ago I read on the net that 256kbps is close to CD Sound.

Then now I look on Google and I read the Lower the Biterate the more like Audio CD it sounds.

And somebody gave me an MP3 they made from an Audio CD and it was 320kbps and sounded good.
    Can anyone tell me if I am understanding how MP3 Bitrate works?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    MP3 is a lossy compression algorithm. Lossy meaning that some sound quality will be lost no matter what the rate is.
    The higher the bit rate, the better the sound. So the 256 kbps is closer to CD quality than 128 kbps, but still not there. For me, 192 kbps is a nice compromise. I can put a lot on a player without sacrificing too much quality.

You may or may not hear the differences between the various bit rates depending on the hardware and of course your ears.

Rustys and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  3. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Ok thanks for all the info.

So like I say somebody gave me an MP3 they made and it is 320kbps.
    What would you say about this?

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'd say you should do some experimenting. Rip a tune or two at different rates. Judge for yourself. That's how I came to use 192 kbps. I didn't hear much difference when I used higher rates. I'm listening mostly using ear buds while exercising or in the car.

Now ... when I'm using my home stereo, which is more high end than most home systems, I can hear the difference. That's why when listening using my home system, I'm using Cds. If I'm entertaining or just need some background music, I will use my iPad to stream music. The files arein MP3 format. In these situations, I'm not listening critically.