1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitors Lose Signal While Playing Certain Games. Needs Force Shutdown to Fix

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ConstantHeadaches, Nov 15, 2021.

1. ConstantHeadaches

ConstantHeadaches

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey All,

I've been having this problem for about 1-2 months now and haven't been able to figure out a solution and it is driving me insane. While playing certain demanding games like Star Citizen and Apex Legends, my monitors will both randomly lose signal at the same time. I can still hear audio when this happens and the computer is still running, but the only way to get signal again is to force shutdown and restart. The graphics card also seems to max out its fans while in this lost signal state and goes back to normal after the restart. This doesn't seem to happen when I play games like League of Legends which are less demanding, and it doesn't seem to happen when I run stress tests such as Superposition Benchmark, Furmark, and OCCT (I don't run these for longer than 10 minutes). Sometime the issue will happen 5-10 minutes into a game I'm playing, other times it can take an hour or longer before it happens. I also see Windows Events logged such as dwm.exe being faulted.

I've read numerous other threads of similar issues and there never seems to be a concrete answer for what the problem may be. I've read it could be a driver issue, BIOS issue, NVIDIA settings issue, GSYNC issue, PSU issue, GPU issue, or Motherboard issue. I don't currently have spare parts to try out if it's a hardware problem, but I was wondering if there were things I could try before resorting to purchasing new hardware. This PC is new (just reaching half a year old) so I was hoping that it is a relatively simple setting/driver fix that I have not tried yet that fixes the issue.

Below are my PC specs:
    Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-11900K
    GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
    32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
    GIGABYTE Z590 UD AC ATX, ARGB, 802.11ac, 2.5GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 5 SATA3, 3x M.2
    1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2 NVMe
    No Overclocking

I also have two LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Monitors connected via DisplayPort that are both 1440p and both run at 144hz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome, I got a headache just reading your post. (just kidding).

Could very well be a heat issue. The fans are ramping up to try to get away from the processor(s). Check for debris in the heat exchangers. Make sure there's nothing obstructing the air flow. If that's all good, you may have to re-apply heat sink compound between the processors and heat sinks.

IJAC likes this.
  3. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Then contact their tech support. Sorry Tony, but he should NOT be pulling the processor - unless he wants to void the warranty.

Unless you have a bunch of cats who lay around your computer, it most likely is not full us heat trapping dust, dander, cat hair and debris that would affect heat.

Since it is highly unlikely both monitors would develop the exact same fault at the same time, it would seem likely it is the graphics card, the power supply, or something else, like the motherboard.

This indeed does sound like a heat issue, however. You could open the side panel and blast a desk fan in there while using the computer to see what happens. I would also make sure the system (including drivers) is fully updated.

Beyond that, do not do anything that would void the warranty.

4. ConstantHeadaches

ConstantHeadaches

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    When using software like MSI Afterburner and CPUID HWMonitor, the GPU temp is low 40s C when idle and doesn't go above around 76 C when playing demanding games like Star Citizen. Would it still be a heat issue for something else?

I also thought (and was hoping) it was a driver issue but I went through the process uninstalling them with DDU, and reinstalling them and I still got the issue playing Apex.

Event Viewer has a bunch of errors and warnings if those would be useful.

5. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Those temperatures for that graphics card are fine. But that does not rule out heat issues with other components. What are your CPU temps? Did you try the desk fan?

And what errors? Do their timestamps align with the signal losses?

I don't understand what that mean. Is "Standard" the brand name? I know there is a power supply company called "Standard" but I cannot find that they make computer power supplies.

My confusion comes from the fact "Standard" and "Gold" are conflicting terms when associated with 80 PLUS.

Regardless, you need to verify power. That means swapping in a known good PSU or having that one properly tested by a qualified, and properly equipped technician.

6. ConstantHeadaches

ConstantHeadaches

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I've tested with the desk fan and still get the same issue, sometimes within 5 minutes of launching Apex. I can check CPU temps for next time I play. It's weird how it only happens for certain games and never when I try those programs that stress CPU and GPU at the same time.

The errors do align with the signal loss. Some talk about Event ID 56 not being found, others faulting dwm.exe and KERNELBASE.dll. It's always these same errors along with a couple other ones regarding system shut down that show up every time the signal loss happens.

For PSU, it listed Standard when I was buying this PC as a prebuilt but looking at it the PSU that I am using is from EVGA
    and looks like the one found here https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Supply-210-GQ-1000-V1/dp/B017ICWP82. I don't have an extra PSU to test on but if needed I can head over to a tech shop to get it tested this weekend.

7. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I've seen bad RAM cause that. Just one game would crash the system. Even though RAM passed testing, replacing the RAM fixed the problem on one machine that I worked on. Not saying that's your solution, but something to think of.

IJAC likes this.
  8. 8_Ball

8_Ball Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Disconnect one of your displays and try with an HDMI cable instead of DP - I know you won't get 144hz but that's ok that's actually part of the problem solving to run at a lower refresh rate and a single display see what happans.

Tony D likes this.
  9. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yeah, RAM was my next suspect too.

10. ConstantHeadaches

ConstantHeadaches

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I think I've figured out the issue. I moved the GPU to the PCIe slot on the bottom of the board (which barely leaves any room for the card) and I haven't had the issue happen since. So something is wrong with the top PCIe slot. Will use compressed air on it and try it again otherwise I'll have to RMA to motherboard.

11. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    You can try moving it back to the original slot and see what happens. Perhaps it was not seated all the way in. Or maybe some of the contacts were dirty. Moving it back should scrape the contacts cleans. No need to used compressed air unless you can see a layer of dust - and again, with the computer only being 6 months old, that is not likely unless you have a bunch of shedding pets. In any case, removing and re-inserting the card should clean those contacts.

Tony D likes this.