1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitor problem-box won't go away

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by Silver, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Silver

Silver Junior Member

Hi: I have a Dell Dimension, about 5 yrs. old. XP. It has the old style monitor
    which has never before given me any problem. Now, for over a week, a small grey box appears in the middle of the screen, n red letters, it's:
    CONTRAST (RED BAR ) 100. The arrow disappears over it. and nothing I do will make it go away. Tried buttons on front. Called company, no help. She said I need a new monitor. Do you think this is true?Can't send any mail, because the address lines are covered by box.
    ppreciate any help.

2. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Hello Silver and welcome to Computer Help Forums. Unfortunately the CRT monitors can be very costly to repair. This isn't something that can be

fixed by changing a setting. Flat screen monitors have really come down in price in the past few years. You can purchase a good monitor quite

cheaply and get years of use out of it. If your CRT monitor was repairable it would cost you more than the price of a new flat screen.

3. Silver

Silver Junior Member

OK. Thanks All Heart. Guess that is what I'll have to do. I am totally sick of fooling around with it, and as you said, there are no settings for this.
    Will be nice to get rid of this monstrosity on my desk!!! (Think positive)

4. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It has the same effect as switching to high definition TV from your old picture tube, Silver:) You will be happy the old one finally broke down. It is clear that the problem is with the monitor though. Windows does not give that kind of warning.

5. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Silver, You are welcome and I'm sure you will be delighted with a flat screen monitor. It has been quite a few years since my first flat screen

but I'll never forget the feeling. It is still working and in use after approximately 7-8 years. Sometimes when something breaks it's a blessing

in disguise....:)