1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

missing CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by emptypockets, Feb 23, 2013.

1. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi all. I'm working on the laptop from Hades again with a different prob. this time. My neighbor brought it over and said the CD/DVD drv. worked intermittently, then disappeared altogether.

I looked it over and saw that it wasn't showing in Computer, nor Device Mgr., so I've been all over the internet and did these:
    Deleted LowerFilters in Reg. Edit. (UpperFilters wasn't listed)--rebooted--no
    success
    Physically removed and re-inserted the drv.--no success
    Ran MS FixIt--no success
    Booted into Safe Mode--drv. is not shown there either
    Ck'd. "dumbed down" PhoenixBIOS Setup vF.34--headings were Main, Security, System Configuration, Diagnostics, and Exit. In System Configuration>Boot Options>Boot Order:

ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive (I can hear the drv. "bump" during bootup)
    Notebook Hard Drive
    USB Diskette On Key
    USB Hard Drive
    Network Adapter

I let it go for a few days as I had others to work on, then she showed up up with a new drv. and insisted I install it. I told her I didn't think the drv. was at fault, but I installed it as she DID NOT want the old drv. back in it. When I booted into Windows, it found the new drv. and was shown in Computer and Device Mgr. After testing it with different CDs, DVDs, etc., all seemed OK until I tried to install MS Works (it got about halfway thru, then just sat there--no CD/DVD drv.activity whatsoever. I ck'd. Computer and Device Mgr.--no CD/DVD again!!!!!!!

I'm not a pc expert, so I'm now at a standstill. Could someone please help me fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

HP Pavilion dv9610us
    1.9GHz AMD Turion 64x2
    1GB RAM
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

2. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

The first thing I would do in ANY such case would be to go to Device Manager and remove the drive in question. Re-boot and let Windows re-install the drivers.

3. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    jaylach, thanks for replying, but, if u note in my OP, the drv. in question doesn't appear in Device Mgr. or anywhere else in Vista--just in BIOS.

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  5. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thanks for replying Dragnet, but in my OP, in Step 1, that was the 1st thing I did--no success.

6. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, have you tried physically removing the drive and then pushing it back in again?
    I am just wondering if there is perhaps a poor connection somewhere, perhaps allowing it to show in the BIOS, but not enough of a connection to allow full working.
    Try doing that, with all power off and battery removed, withdraw it, then put it back and power up again.
    Also worth trying the alternative, pull it out, power up and boot up. Then shut down again and refit the drive, and power up and boot up again.
    Just thoughts I would try, is all though.

Nev.

7. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thanks Plastic Nev. I did all that u suggested from other forum suggestions. I've got this posted everywhere I can think of and, so far, no solution yet--been better than a wk. fighting this ol' hog. This is startin' to irritate me.

8. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hum, beginning to look like the new drive is no good too, any chance you can try it in another computer? We have seen hardware die from brand new in a few hours before. Every factory in the world can turn out the odd lemon now and then.

Nev.

9. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Nev, I located an HP dv6000 and the new drive works perfect in it.

10. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, good and thanks for letting us know. Fingers crossed all stays OK from now on.

Nev.

11. emptypockets

emptypockets

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Nev, I should've elaborated. I borrowed an HP dv6000 and the optical drive works perfect in it, but when I put it back in this laptop Vista still doesn't see the drive. Sorry about that.

12. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  13. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    In the laptop where the drive does NOT work... is the connection between the drive and mother board a solid mounted socket on the mother board or a cable? Actually I suppose that that question means nothing as, in either case, I'm looking in the same direction. I'm thinking a connection issue, either a bad cable or, if a direct plug in slot, possibly a bent pin. (I consider this to be a low percentage possibility)

OK, emptypockets, I'm going to back up here a bit. I goofed in my first response by suggesting that you look at Device Manager. I SHOULD have stated to look under Drive Management. Just to satisfy what I'm thinking PLEASE go to Drive Management and make sure whethere the drive does or does not show. If it does PLEASE make sure that it has a drive letter assigned. If you do not know how to get to Drive Management, ask.