1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

midimagic

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by midimagic, Jul 20, 2022.

1. midimagic

midimagic

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I have been using Windows XP for years. Suddenly a computer failure has destroyed my ability to do my work. I can't find any way to rebuild what I had.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You didn't say what's wrong with your computer so it's impossible to help that matter. You can no longer purchase a new computer with XP. You might find one used somewhere. That may be difficult. I don't think places that take computer donations accept XP machines any longer.

Consider moving to Windows 10 or Windows 11, maybe even to a Linux machine which can be made to look similar to Windows.

IJAC likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If you had made images, you'd simply put a new hard drive in the computer and restore the image.
    [up on my soapbox] People never feel that losing anything computer related will effect them. They don't get serious about learning how to protect files, hard drives and operating systems until they lose something that can not be replaced. [down from soapbox]

For the future, learn how to create images so this doesn't happen to you again.

4. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Windows XP Seriously?:omg:

IJAC likes this.
  5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    There is NOTHING wrong with using programs I like on an XP computer off the internet. Some programs work better simply because they weren't bloated.

Since the OP is working with midi files and XP supported playing midi files natively, perhaps that's why XP is in use. I wished to experiment (again to help someone with a problem) with midi files so I had to go searching to find something on Windows 7 that plays midi files. I was shocked to discover that IrfanView will play midi files provided to have something installed. (I have quite a few steel drum songs as midi files so it was nice to be able to hear them as originally posted.)

I never used Windows Media Player, however, it was set up on an XP computer, I saved from a trash heap. To help someone solve a CD problem with Windows Media Player, I had to get on the XP computer , see what options were available and post a step by step for someone on another forum.

So basically there are reasons why people may want to keep an XP computer handy -off the internet- to work with files and use programs.