1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Micro SD Cards

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by biferi, Aug 21, 2021.

1. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I know if I get a Micro SD Card that is UHS it needs a UHS Reader to Read it.

But if I get a USB Adapter to Plug into my USB Port am I not Right the USB Adapter has to be UHS as well?

I know if you Look at the Pins on the Card you will See 2. Sets of them if it is UHS.
    And if you put the Micro SD Car that is UHS into a Mini SD Card Adapter that Mini Card Adapter has to have 2. Sets of Pins inside as well to make the Connection.

And if you put the Mini SD Card Adapter into a USB Adapter in the USB Adapter it has to have 2. Sets of Pins as well to make the Connection.

Or is this not how it all works?

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    At this present time, SD cards utilizing UHS-III or SD Express aren't anywhere to be seen on the market, despite the technologies being available for several years. But this is because the performance is only unlocked if the device using the card fully supports it. The table below shows how various cards will function in different UHS card readers, and indicates how SD Express would compare.

[​IMG]

Not shown in the very first table is yet another category rating. The increased use of SD cards in smartphones and tablets, where the additional NAND flash can be used as working storage, requires more than just good throughput.

The ability to handle lots of random data instructions (measured in IOPs, input/output operations per second) is key to ensuring consistent system performance, and in 2015 the SD Association created two further standards: Application Class A1 and A2.

Cards rated A1 are capable good for a random read performance of 1500 IOPS and random writes of 500 IOPS, while A2 significantly increases that, although this does require very specific hardware support. Additionally, the A1/A2 rating also means that the cards offers a sustained sequential write speed equal to that of V10.

starbuck, Seth Anthony and Tony D like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks IJAC. Things are getting a bit complicated. Next hurdle is to understand USB C.

IJAC likes this.
  4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I can honestly say I have never wasted time looking at the pins on an sd card or a micro sd card!
    I simply put them in a device and use them.

I have at last count: 13 SD cards for cameras and old laptops and 11 micro sd cards for phone, mp3 players and newer tablets and chromebook. I forgot one bit of hardware. I have a standalone device to put slides into and turn them into jpegs. Rather than use the tiny internal memory, I use an sd card in that.

I have adapter cases to put micro sd cards into so it fits in an sd slot, old USB holders for sd cards and an old micro sd holder. So far everything just works.

5. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Yep I agree it is getting ridiculous.

6. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well I always Buy Class 10 Micro SD Cards.
    I thought Class 10 is for Cameras because they are very Fast Read Speed and Write Speed am I Right?

7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Class 10, because of its fast speed, may be required for recording video. Probably not required for photos unless you're doing fast, continuous shooting.

IJAC likes this.
  8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC likes this.