1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Manjaro broke

Discussion in 'Linux' started by IJAC, Feb 28, 2019.

1. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    My original install of Manjaro Cinnamon is now not working.I lost the internet because the network is not working.I was reading up on how to repair the installation but it is beyond me. I did do the timeshift backup but I am not understanding how to use it. It is no big deal all the files that I had on it I moved over to my backup.Also I have Manjaro Matte on another drive and Mint Matte also. I can't open Libre office to view any documents that is how I discovered I had other problems besides no networking or internet.I guess I need some more Linux knowledge this will be one of those learning times for me.Worst comes to worst I will just reinstall it no problem there.Back in the day I had to reinstall Windows many many times to learn.
    Forgot to mention the only thing different in my system is I put a PCI Express add on card for more Sata ports.I hooked up my CD/DVD player and Blue Ray DVD burner to that.All my SSD'S are hooked up on the motherboard ports.

2. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Wired, WiFi, Both

Is Manjaro seeing all the drives?

Where are you having the issue with Timeshift?

Here are a few links that may help.
    https://linuxhint.com/timeshift_linux_mint_19_usb/
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/timeshift-a-system-restore-utility-tool-review

3. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Sorry it is wired Ethernet connection. Yes it sees the drives. I am not sure which drive to select in Timeshift I am not real good at understanding how Linux lays out the hard drives. I just can't get the windows drive setup C,D,E so forth out of my head. Thanks for the tutorial on Timeshift I think that will help me understand it better. The reason I wanted to restore Manjaro was other things are not working either. Libre office is not opening when I click to open it I get a flash like it is opening but nothing happens. I have to head out to work now so I won't be able to post back till tomorrow morning so no hurry in posting back.

4. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Not a problem fully understand the delay for response.

For explaining drives see if this helps at all.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/armhf/apcs04.html

When you open Timeshift (the few times I used it) when you get to the main screen select Restore
    Then the backup on the list that you want to use.
    If it is on an external device then have that device connected prior to starting Timeshift.
    Keep clicking next and let it do its thing.

Should be a simple reinstall yet we will probably need to get the networking fixed prior to installing.

You can also download the newest ISO for Manjaro Cinnamon and install that as well

Up to you on how you would like to proceed.

5. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Well I bit the bullet and did a reinstall thanks for the info on the hard drive set up. I have seen it many times but I just get so confused on the way Linux does drive letters. Also I have so many hard drives it would confuse even Tony maybe. I am not new to Linux but I just have this thing call CRS (can't remember s**t) and OMD (old man disease). I wish this stuff was around when I was younger. I hope with the help I receive here and some reading I will get better at this. I really like playing with Linux and all the different distros.
    I did notice when I tried to save to a external disk Timeshift said it couldn't. I saved it to the HD that I had Manjaro on. I have a fresh install of Manjaro Cinnamon now so I will proceed to set it all up and try and set up Timeshift again.Thanks again for your help I will probably have more questions as time goes on.

6. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Just wanted to give you a update. All is good so far I created a Timeshift backup and I learned how to use it. Thanks to the info you sent me I am on my way hopefully with not to many more problems like that again. I have to say I enjoy learning about Linux and all the features I didn't know existed thanks to this forum.

7. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Not a problem I have lost track of the amount of times I have done re-installs on Linux from me seeing just how far I can push it.

Even some times form lets see what this command does.

You are welcome glad I am able to. I look at it this way we all started some place.