1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Maintenance contract for new pc?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 8biosdrive, Feb 16, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I've just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3670 with Windows 10, i5+8400, 8 Gb 2.7 MHz ddr4 ram + 16 Gb optane memory cache, 3.5" 1 Tb 7200 rpm hdd, which won't arrive for several weeks. I declined the extended maintenance contract providing at home service, as I often do (although I have used them on occasion for more fragile devices such as printers) since they only cover up to 4 years, and usually problems develop after that time. The computer comes with the standard 1 year warranty, but Dell said that if there were a hardware issue during that time, the whole unit has to be sent back to them, obviously a great inconvenience meant to encourage purchase of the contract. Do you agree with my reasoning to let the contract go? Would a big box manufacturer use a lower quality part on a computer without the extended service contract compared to one with a contract? Thanks for any advice.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Most of the parts in that machine (other than the system board) are off-the-shelf. Well ... unless you got one of those slim line machines.

You need to ask about the response time for the home service and balance that with your need for fast response time and the cost. Is there a deductible? If you were a business, it may be worth it.

3. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    I do not know if they have changed the way they do the power supplies or not. Since they usually only use what they system barley requires.

4. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was told the response time would be within 24 hours, which would be fine, if accurate. The coverage would be for hardware (software would cost more) and would include all parts and labor. This computer is for home use only. The cost would be $190 for 4 years, which is the maximum time frame. Of course, most maintenance contracts don't cover the extended time periods within which aging and wear-related problems commonly develop. It really boils down to how likely it is that a hardware problem would develop in the first 4 years? Based on my last Dell Dimension 8300 (14 years old and still kicking!), I'm thinking not very likely, but they may not be building them as sturdily now as they did then.

As far as I've seen online, this model comes with a 290 W power supply. Is it more likely that a lower wattage power supply would not last as long as a relatively higher wattage supply? Is that what you're getting at?

5. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    In a word yes. Like you I have a few Dells that have lasted no issue. Now a days I have noticed though that they build the using just what is needed to make them run. No it is not just Dell all prefab systems are done that way.

Why no DVD/Blue-ray?

6. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Oh, yes, it comes with a DVD-RW drive. Thanks for your replies. Given that Dell is requiring that the whole tower be returned in case of hardware failure (is there any other reason for this other than to coerce consumers into buying the in-home service contract?) and that, as you point out, there is probably more built-in obsolescence these days, I'm going to get the 4 year maintenance contract, contrary to my usual practice.

7. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    They use to offer a two year and I think (has been several years since I have looked) a one year extended.

If it breaks (per say) it will in the first year and was not meaning to push you that way in getting the extended warranty.

8. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The minimum contract period they quoted me was for 2 years. I'm fairly mechanical and have made a number of hardware modifications to my desktop over the years--on the order of adding a hard drive, optical drive, ram etc. But, I'm not an electronics/computer expert by any means and have never built a system from scratch. My rationale was either I not get the contract at all, and just do the repairs myself if that should occur, but then deal with the time and inconvenience of that, or get the service contract for as long as possible, since it seemed more likely that if something were to fail, I'm covered for and have peace of mind for longer period. You didn't push me. I appreciated your expertise and felt you were right about lower quality builds these days. I guess it would be good to have data on whether parts are more likely to fail over 1, 2 or 4 years. Do you think if the major parts make it through the first year, they are generally good for 5 or more years? Or can they go at any time?

9. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    I know that there is some stuff out there that will tell us average life span for some hardware. Yes has been my personal experience that if it is going to last it will pass the first year or two.

This will also depend on usage and treatment.

8biosdrive likes this.
  10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    There's always the fluke that fails prematurely when others last for years.

8biosdrive and Rustys like this.
  11. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Tony brings up a valid point.

12. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks again for your help. I was pleased to hear today that the coverage is for hardware and software, although the software issues I would likely deal with myself.

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Software coverage? What do they cover? I don't get that at all.

14. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Dell is infamous for charging a separate fee for "software coverage".
    That means basically walking you through reinstalling Windows or resetting Windows as well as malware removal.
    Do not fall for this.

Seth Anthony, 8biosdrive and Tony D like this.
  15. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I believe if anything is going to fail it would be the power supply.Like Rustys said they use cheaper and right to the power limit power supplies.Tony makes fun of me (jokingly of coarse) about my 750 Watt power supplies.I like to have some over head and also I install a bunch of hard drives and have a CD/DVD player and a Blue ray/ DVD burner.So for a regular desktop a 290/300 ish should be OK.I never liked those extended warranties except for laptops they can get messed up easily.In your case sending the whole tower back if something goes would be a pain.I've also hear horror stories about Dell they wiped out the users hard drive and didn't even back up there files.