1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Looking to purchase modem and need advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joecaf61, Dec 30, 2018.

1. joecaf61

joecaf61

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    This is my first time here and not sure if this is the correct section of the forum. I presently have Comcast xfinity and they are increasing the modem rental to $13/month, so I was thinking of purchasing one. I am not that technically inclined and would appreciate any feedback.

The rented Comcast modem is Arris TG1682G voice and data dual band wifi capable XB3. I have just one desktop I use, am not using phone service. I did a speed test it is download 3.3 Mbps and upload 2.3 Mbps.
    I am not into gaming, just general use, watching videos, etc. I do have a few questions.

1. Since the rented equipment is a modem/router combo, can I just buy a combo unit or do I have to get two separate units?

2. Will I have any issues with Comcast and if something happens to the equipment, does that mean I will have to purchase again and be out more money?

3. I was thinking of going to Best Buy and wanted to know what would be my best options and if there is anything I would have to tell the clerk. I want to make sure I don't get one that is way more then I need.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hi Joe and welcome,

My sister was in a similar situation. I referred to Comcast’s list of approved modem/routers. Try this link https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Answers to your questions:
    1) You can buy whatever is on their list of approved equipment. A combo would be fine.

2) If there’s a problem with the equipment you buy, it’s on you to replace it. When you purchase your modem/router, you’ll have to call Comcast to help with the installation. They need to know what you’re using so have the model number handy. They may ask for the MAC address. It’ll be written on the modem.

3) I’m not familiar with the Best Buy offerings. I picked up a combo for my sister almost a year ago. It was an ARRIS SURFboard SB6190, DOCIS 3.0 compatible. $87.

That combo unit also has wireless capability which you don’t need, but it may come in handy at some point.

btw: your connection speed could be better, especially the download.

Rustys, IJAC and Seth Anthony like this.
  3. joecaf61

joecaf61

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you, Tony

4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have been with Comcast internet since 2004. I always buy my own modem and separate router.
    I went to Best Buy and bought a non-gateway modem in 2016. It is an Arris Surfboard SB6121.
    I've had 3 different routers attached to it. (One died and was replaced with one I didn't care for. The one I don't like is a spare just in case the current router has issues.)

I am paying for a slow service.
    Here's my current test with router and at least 2 computers on.
    speed12_31_18.jpg

If you only have one computer, you don't need a router. Just connect the computer directly to the modem and once you phone support and give them the MAC of the new modem, you will be good to go.

5. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I recommending not using a single modem. Get a unit which included a router or get a separate router in addition to a modem. A router provides an additional layer of protection against the bad guys.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Rustys like this.