1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Laptop Battery Gateway 7320GZ

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Sep 27, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Where would you suggest I would order an inexpensive battery for my Gateway 7320GZ Windows XP Home SP3 laptop computer so I COULD use it away from A/C power plugs if I so wished? Might be advantageous to be able to do so.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) CHF Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    eBay, would be your best bet.
    Look for the best prices.

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The older the laptop, the harder to find batteries.

I had a 2011 Acer Aspire which is a lot newer than yours and a very common model. It runs Windows 7 and has a 250GB hard drive as compared to your 80GB hd and XP OS. I went to a local chain, Battery Warehouse to get a replacement battery. They had none. He called another Battery Warehouse in the next county and they also had none. He told me to look online.

I ordered one online through Amazon and eventually got a message my order had been cancelled because the battery was out of stock. (I don't shop eBay). I'd be afraid that what I bought wouldn't run long because they'd be used batteries. I think it will be very hard to find a new battery for that old a computer.

There is a chain in the US called Batteries + Bulbs. Fortunately, the store is not too far from our home. They make replacement batteries. I bought one there. It wasn't cheap but we wanted the laptop to be portable. The battery is also guaranteed for 1 year. It's nice because if it fails in a year, you take it back and get a free replacement. (I actually had to do that. The first one, installed in March stopped working in April. They replaced it free and it is guaranteed for 1 year from the April date of the replacement. It has been working fine).

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  5. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    I agree with Liz, ordering a battery from eBay for that old of a laptop is only going to get you a used one that may not hold much of charge.

6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I found a battery that seemed right on eBay for $24.50, ordered, and it has shipped. I will see how it is .Don't really HAVE to even have one but thought it would be nice if did and price is reasonable. Now, if only the battery is.
    Actually the battery offer said 30.35, then the order said 30.35 and when shipped the email aid 24.50. Price either way seemed reasonable. Will post back results.
    Here is item

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gateway...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Says new, so you should be OK with your purchase, Bill.:)
    99.8 percent positive feed back.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Says it is due tomorrow USPS. So far after long time and many purchases I can recall only one unhappy experience when I received a used DVD with deep scratch marks in the playing surface, a VER-R-Y obvious defect that should have been seen. I was unhappy once hwen the guest account orders were not offered and I had to register but now believe registering guarantees me more and surer options. An item from Romania was several weeks late, I complained and got a credit, then item came and I tried to do right and called my credit card company and reversed the credit. Usually have no problems and try to be a careful shopper.

9. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What I've noticed kills batteries is keeping them in a laptop with the laptop plugged into a live electrical outlet continuously. I suggest that if you want to preserve the life of your new battery:

Install it in your laptop.
    Let it charge fully.
    Use your laptop either plugged into the electrical power outlet or on battery power.
    When not using the laptop, remove it from electrical power. Most people use their laptop in the same place every day. So the easiest thing to do is put it on a power strip. Turn the power strip off when not using the laptop. This prevents the laptop from continually charging the battery. Yeah, I hear newer laptops don't continue to charge a battery once it's at full charge, but my gut doesn't believe it.

Once every two months, use your laptop on the battery only. Let the battery discharge to about 95%, then let it charge fully. This resets the charging circuits.

10. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yep, that is exactly what I have done. This is first time I have read any sort of procedure to follow. Will try this.

11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If not using computer every day and if the battery might discharge, is this OK; or if unplugged and not used should it be plugged back in every few days? This one is old but I have 2 newer laptops.

12. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you don't use the laptop and don't have it plugged into an electrical outlet, it will take several weeks for a new battery to self-discharge.

If you want to store a battery for a long time, discharge it to about 50%. Then charge it to 100% before using it.

13. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I just received my new battery and installed it. I plan to follow your described procedure. PC was purchased 3-5-2005. Battery was only charging to 1-2 % when plugged in all the time.

14. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I charged battery yesterday and last night. 100%. At 10:15 am I tried unplugging laptop from AC power. In a few minutes the PC turned off. Battery then said 1% and charging.
    Do these new batteries need any breaking in procedure or need to be left on charge for a length of time? I expected to get more than few minutes battery use after chaging day and night to 100%.

15. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You should get about 4 hours after a full charge on a new battery. If it says it's charged to 100% and then dies after a few minutes, the battery is bad. Just to make sure, go thru another charging and see what happens.

16. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This may be a 2.5 hour battery. What is the recommended power properties settings for monitor, hard discs, and system standby when running on batteries? If discharging and recharging should these be set to "Never"?

17. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    When says 100% charged says 1.23 hours remaining. Discharging for 3rd time now.

18. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Power settings vary by user. Use your best judgement. If the screen is dimming sooner than you like, change the appropriate setting. etc.

19. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    First, the battery might not be new.
    Or, if it is new, for a 2005 year laptop, the battery might have been stored so long that it will no longer hold a charge.

If it only lasts for a few minutes and drops from 100% to 1%, then something is very wrong. (My old original battery in the 2011 laptop would say 100% then only keep the netbook on for 5 - 7 minutes before it shut off and the battery was below 5%).

20. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB