1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a CD burner into an older computer

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by John Stenger, Apr 2, 2013.

1. John Stenger

John Stenger Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    My Dell desktop has gone on the fritz, so I am using an older machine I have, also a Dell, ..Only problem is this machine has only a CD player installed with no burner. I would like to know if there will be any serious issues if I install the newer machines burner into the older non burning machine. P.S. both of these machines are quite Old at least 10 years.

Thanks John

2. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi John and welcome to CHF.
    I assume that the operating system will be Windows XP, but there shouldn't be a problem if the burner is CD only.
    If DVD as well, Windows will be able to handle playing DVD's, but you will need a third party software for burning DVD's

Once you have fitted the burner, and turned the computer on after fitting, you may see a message about Windows installing drivers, but after that all should be OK.

Nev.

3. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Thanks Nev ...it's a SONY CD-R/RW Drive

4. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Should hopefully be straightforward John. The main thing will be finding the fixings of the old and whether they will locate to the new, usually will though.
    Both machines being over ten year old, then hopefully the systems will be IDE and not one of 'em SATA, but if you find that is the case, depending on which way round it is, we can advise accordingly.

As encouragement, I removed a CD-R/RW like yours from my old XP machine in favour of a DVD-R/RW.
    A friend some time later mentioned that his wife's old XP machine, the CD read only had stopped working, so I nipped down with my old CD-R/RW and swapped over, she was happy that she not only could play CD's again, but could now write her own.
    Once I had worked out how to get her old dead drive out, everything else went like clockwork.

No not a wind up one:D

Nev.

5. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Did it this morning and it works just fine! Thanks for your Help Nev!

6. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi John, glad to hear it worked out well for you and thanks for letting us know.

Nev.