1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Ibm Aptiva 2171 Help Me Please

Discussion in 'Backup and Recovery' started by IHAVENOIDEA, Jul 31, 2012.

1. IHAVENOIDEA

IHAVENOIDEA

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Hi
    Am really hoping somebody can help me.
    I have found my old IBM aptiva 2171 hard drive and need to get some data from it. How do I do this?
    Do I need to get a monitor and keyboard also as I have long ago thrown them out?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Your question confuses me a bit. Did you find the hard drive or the computer? That is an old computer but most monitors should work if it has a a vga input. Since I don't know what operating system is on it I cant say for sure what screen resolution you will get but you should be able to see what is there. All this assumes you have the computer and not just the hard drive as you said.

As for the keyboard and mouse, you may have to get new ones. I doubt that the machine is usb compliant so you will need to use PS/2 connections or even a serial mouse/keyboard connection or an adapter.

If all you have is the hard drive or you want to remove it, you can probably get an adapter that will allow you to connect it to your current computer using your usb ports. I assume it is an IDE drive if the drive is loose, how many pins are on the part where it connects to the computer?

3. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    As BeeCeeBee suggests - you need an adapter to connect the hard drive to the USB port of a working pc.

The kit looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.co...43753605&sr=8-1

There are various types and prices - a cheap one will do.
    Your hard drive will be 3.5 inch IDE.
    The kit shown will do 2.5 inch ( laptop ) and SATA too.

When you connect it the pc will locate new hardware and you will be able to access the drive in the same way you do with a memory stick.