1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

I know nothiiing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kittt, May 10, 2018.

1. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello I'm Karen and new to this forum. I used to have fairly longish hair but now I am totally bald due to pulling it all out recently when my computer left me.

Basically I've pressed so many buttons on it that it got sick and collapsed. Okay, when I turn the computer on it comes up with 'tetris' but not the game. Then it looks as though its going to open up, i.e., the blue screen appears and then the window with the light reflection and then that is it. It doesn't continue to welcome me or proceed to the main desk top icon screen. The only thing it displays is a box with performance manager written in it and it looks like a hospital heart beat monitor. I really am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Karen, What make/model computer do you have? We may have to try to repair Windows.

What do you do to shut it down or start it up?

When you get to the point where everything just stops, hold down the power button until the screen goes blank. See if that helps.

3. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10

4. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello Tony, thank you for your reply. How will I know what make and model? I know I sound a bit thick, or a lot thick but, to cut a long story short, my husband died prematurely, 12 months ago, and the information you request from me is something I never needed to know. The monitor is a noc.
    To start the computer I press the silver 'on' button on the computer tower. To shut down, I click the bottom left hand corner of the monitor until it states 'shutdown' and then a few seconds later it switches off. I've not been able to close it down using this method for a couple of days because the icon at the bottom left hand corner is not displayed and has been replaced with a window symbol. When I move the mouse arrow to that window icon at the bottom, I end up with a blue rotating circle.

Held down power button on monitor until the screen went black, then switched it back on, and it returned to the blue screen with the window in it.

5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    There should be a label on the unit somewhere.
    Do you mean Nuc? A Nuc is a mini computer.
    Understood. Try holding the silver button on the computer tower down until the machine turns off.

6. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10

7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You didn't say anything.

8. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    The monitor is a noc, it looks like an upside down letter 'V', followed by the letters, O and C.
    I have held down the silver button on the tower to turn the computer off because I can't now do this from the shut down menu on the monitor be a use I can't access it. However, when just press the silver button to start up the computer, it still stops at the blues green with the window.
    The computer is a Pentium p4 model 450w.

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That would be an AOC monitor which makes sense.

Again, what is the make and model of the computer? Some common manufacturers are Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, Lenovo, Compaq, Sony. Is it one of them?

10. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10

11. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I can't find d any of those names. All I have is Pentium p4. Is P/N:EPIONI any use?

12. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    tetris might be the welcome screen that your late husband installed. Normally some sort of screen comes on before you see Windows loading.
    P/N usually stands for product number
    but when I search for EPIONI I find it is a Greek Catering Company.
    Google suggests EPIONE and then proceeds to show me eye creams.

I assume the computer is not a laptop because there is a monitor attached.
    Make sure the computer is turned off then hunt for a label on the side or bottom of the case.

We do not want any serial numbers having to do with Microsoft Windows. That would be 5 groups of 5 alphanumeric characters with a dash between the groups.

Look for a brand name for the computer and also what version of Windows is on the Microsoft label.

13. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    If I'm understanding correctly, the computer runs Window's 10 and it partially starts up?

If so, try this:

As soon as Windows starts to load, hold down the power button and the computer will turn off. Now repeat that process 2 or 3 times and Windows will automatically go into "Automatic Repair Mode" which will attempt to fix the start up issue.

Tony D and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  14. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you I will try tomorrow now. I feel I am on a road to nowhere, because I believe my late husband built this comp so it probably has parts from different manufacturers. Thanks anyway for being there for me.

15. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    How did you conclude that?

Just curious because I knew folks who run linux that have a monitor on the desktop.

16. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I assumed it, as almost all end users now run Windows 10. Plus, Karen posted in the W10 forum:)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  17. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    By "light reflection" screen, do you mean this:

upload_2018-5-11_10-57-39.jpeg

18. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    That's exactly it! The picture. I did what you asked... I turned the comp on and off when the window appeared, three times. It did then state that it was doing a fault and diagnostic test... whoooopeee I thought, then it wanted a password for the administrator, in order to do checks, delete certain files, troubleshoot etc. and guess what? I don't know it. So don't know what to do.

Prodr, I will turn the computer upside down tomorrow to see if I can find further info on make and model. The thing is, there aren't any sides to this computer, It sits within a computer's department within a desk but when I slide it out, I can see all the wires and mechanisms and drives etc. EP10N1, I think is a power supply. Sorry, I originally typed it to you as letters when some should have been numerals. Thank you for everybody's support.

19. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You don't have to do any of that (at least for now), as we now know for sure that the computer runs Windows 10.

When you say it asks for a password, does it look similar to one of the following 2 images?

upload_2018-5-11_11-59-27.jpeg

0ad4277b3387980ccb08363022d0cd06._.png

20. Kittt

Kittt Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    No, I normally see something very similar to the second screen, however, I don't have to enter a password, I think, for some reason, it had already been set and automatically loads passed this. Once, as you asked, I switched comp on and off a few times, and it came up with 'auto repair' then moved to ' diagnostics', it came up with highlighted boxes I.e., troubleshoot, reset, so, for example, I clicked 'troubleshoot'. However, it then asked for a password in order to carry out the request, I don't know the password. I hope I'm making sense. Think I need a glass of red wine, or a vodka and orange, or both!