1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'Backup and Recovery' started by togg7209, Feb 5, 2010.

1. togg7209

togg7209

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi: Somehow the f10 button put my windows XP in the restore mode and it restored back to the
    factory state. I lost all of my documents, pictures and other desireable information in the rstore process.

My question is how can I recover all of these files?

I have a HP Pavilion a1209n W/win XP

Someone please help me recover my pictures and other documents.

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    First welcome to Computer Help Forums. As I am sure you have noted this has been split off the original thread and is now on its own. :)

There has to be more than this happening. Pressing the f10 will not format a drive or cause you to lose your data. Can you give us a bit more detail as to exactly what occurred?

3. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Hello baffled09,

You performed a Factory Restore, it's highly unlikely anything would be recoverable...

Compaq Presario - To enter the Factory Recovery Partition Press [F10] When Blinking

Cursor Jumps To Top Right Corner of Screen or Press [F10] When Logo Screen Is Displayed.

HP/Compaq always gives you a few seconds to press the ESC. key to cancel...[​IMG]

4. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Oh, I see, you pressed F10 while the computer was booting. Was there not a warning displayed? Saying that all the whys in the world will not help you recover your data after a full factory restore. All we can really do is give you some tips on how to avoid this happening in the future. If you truly need to recover your data, there are some professionals who may be able to help but it is very expensive and not even close to a sure thing.

If you think there is any chance that you may want to go in that direction stop doing anything with the computer and shut it down.

5. togg7209

togg7209

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thank you I was hoping for better news.
    Yes that is what happened and no I did not see any warning and thought it was a normal restore to date set for restore and didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.
    I did see a note though that said any material would be recoverable but gave no info on how to do that.
    Lyle

6. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Hello baffled09,

There are two types of recovery for HP/Compaq computers: destructive and non-destructive. Destructive recovery will
    reformat your hard drive, destroying all data and reinstalling the operating system and additional software according to
    the factory configuration. Non-destructive recovery, will repair your Windows installation, replacing any damaged or
    missing system files and restoring the registry to the factory setting.

You have two choices: 1) Non-destructive restore or 2) Destructive restore (under Advanced). As these options suggest,
    the "non-destructive" simply overwrites the original files and the "destructive" reformats drive C: and then restores
    the files. A non-destructive recovery will leave all of your personal files as they are.... Non-destructive recovery is
    the best option if you are unable to back up your user data before running system recovery.

If you did indeed do a Non-destructive Recovery, there is a slim chance you may be able to recover somethings but not
    others. The software links below are for recoving files, they are freeware. I have used Recuva quite a few times with
    various results. Each situation is different.

Good Luck! ~Cindy~

Recuva - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Restoration - http://www.webattack...estoration.html

PC INSPECTORâ„¢ File Recovery 4.x. - http://www.pcinspect....htm?language=1

7. hatsoff

hatsoff Inactive

Asus P5W DH
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2
    Memory:
    4GB OCZ Quick Stuf
    Hard Drive:
    Spinpoint 500GB
    Graphics Card:
    HD2600 Pro
    Power Supply:
    Silver Power
    Data can still be recovered for a while after rebuild. It really does depend on the exact nature of the manufacturers recovery process. A disk format isn't always a format, sometimes it is a wiping and rebuilding of the partition table, which leaves old data intact but hidden. For example 'My Documents' data can still be available for recovery.

Also, it depends on what lengths you are able to go to in order to recover your data. Realistically, you need the hard disk slaved or running on a USB adapter on another machine to work on it without writing to it.

If you can't do that, the above advice holds, if you can do that try running the demo of this http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Its probably the NTFS version you would need.