1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

HP printer question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    W7 HP 64 bit, HP M1522nf all-in-one printer/copier/fax/scan. Internet access via FireFox. This computer is fully booted for several hours each day, asleep for most of the day, and shut down at night. The printer is on only when in use- not necessarily every day. The printer has a display that can be set for a time/date stamp for printing etc.

Anyone know if the printer can be set to read the time and date from the browser when we turn the printer on? As of now, that data must be re-entered each time the printer is used if we want the correct info on the document. Can't find this addressed in the printer manual.

2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I don't own a printer that shows the time and date.
    I found this but I'm not sure if you have "Embedded Web Server" talked about in the solution.

Write down the IP address of the printer (you get this when you look at the addresses on your router; usually something like 192.168.1.1)
    Type the IP of the printer into the address bar of your preferred browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc)
    Press Enter to access the EWS (embedded web server) for the printer
    Select the Settings tab at the top
    Click the checkbox at the bottom for "Use the same time zone set on this computer" and click Apply

EWS, select "settings", next "preferences", next "date & time", next checked the box " Sync with this computer's date and time settings".

I downloaded the manual and saw
    old_printer.jpg
    so you might not be able to get it working the way you want with Windows 7.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi. plodr, thank you for your response and your efforts.

The HP manual for this beast does talk about "embedded web server." Although it is about 8 years old, there are ongoing updates from HP, most recently last Nov. Could be the supported systems do not include W7 because when the cookbook was first printed, Vista was current.

See attachments- the manual walks through the procedure for getting the IP address, resulting in a "Configuration" page. But the only address shown is nothing like the sort of number you gave as an example, see underlined "Hardware address." I am unable to get that number from the router, as Verizon refuses to show me router details because it does not recognize my password, after several attempts and finally, blocked access due to too many tries.

I think this is doable, but before I chase Verizon, etc., it seemed I should show you what I have in case you have some advice.

Attached Files:

4. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Is the printer connected to you network and configured?

Looking at the information that you have posted have to state no it is not since there is no IP address. On the back of the printer there should be a connection for a network cable that will also have to be connected to the modem and or router.

Once the printer is connected to the network you can do another config page and get IP address. Will also suggest that you input a static IP address for the printer.

You may also need to enter in the Time Server IP Address
    https://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

5. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just got off the phone after a frustrating (surprise, surprise) call w/ Verizon. But- just looked at the router- shows about 10 different long ID numbers, which could be the answer. Two of those numbers are user ID and password, not set by me, but on a label there. Tomorrow I'll try those credentials.

From elsewhere I learned that, if the printer does not show a dedicated IP address, the router address is used, found that info thru Command Prompt. It shows 192.168.1.1, identical to your number. But I still need to log into Verizon to go forward, and I am shut out due to too many previous attempts.

This will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get into the router screen. As for your comment on setup and connection, I believe all is good there. The printer connects to the computer which connects to the router, all usb cables. That config page was generated before I found and entered that IP for the printer, now done.

I'll post back when and if the good guys win.

6. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The consensus seems to be that the printer needs to be connected directly to the router if this sync will work at all.

The computer's usb cable connects to an appropriate wall outlet behind it. What about putting a splitter on that outlet and plugging the printer into that instead of into the computer?

7. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    So you are wanting to go from Printer to USB to Wall Outlet to Modem?
    Making sure I am on the same page with you.

8. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Currently- router receives signal from Internet. Signal output goes to desktop, which has this printer connected to it via usb.

Proposed- router>computer and also router>printer, both via usb, with both usb's plugged into the same source (wall outlet) using a splitter (bus) to allow two-into-one.

9. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    It might work as long as the printer has it own IP address.
    Other wise you may have to get the printer its own cable and connect it directly to the router.

Either way you will have to have it set with it own IP address.

This is also if you can set the printer to automatically get the time as well.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  10. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Adding to Rustys post, it's a good idea to set a printer with a static IP address. That way your computer will always know where to find it. If you leave it to get its IP address dynamically, the IP address may change. Your computer will be looking for the printer are the old IP address.

Slowpoke47 and Rustys like this.
  11. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks both for the input. Current (no pun intended) strategy is going to be to connect the printer and router directly with a dedicated rj45 cable. This may or may not enable time/date sync, but in any case, it should allow printing from our laptop directly without going through the PC. May be more functionality from the printer with this arrangement than the setup now. Time will tell.

Our original ISP's connection was just a wire, no router- that's why the printer is connected to the PC directly. But now we have the wi-fi enabled router, which lets us use the laptop anywhere in the house.

Yesterday I revisited the wiring config and realized that running a second network cable is feasible and not much of a fight. I have the cookbook for Verizon's (the ISP) router to help the connections along if needed. Need to pick up a few hardware bits and I'll be good to go.

I'll post back with all the sordid details.

12. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well... I've spent the last two days on rewiring the network, adding a dedicated cable from the printer to the router. The actual wiring went fairly easily, took an hour or so to snake the cable, but the repercussions have given me fits. Ping test shows correct hookup. The printer now scans as before, and copies as well, but will print from the computer only by using the "Universal Printing" mode, whatever that is. This screenshot is from Start>Devices and Printers. Along the bottom row of icons, #s 4-8 are all related to the printer in question. The previous default, with green check, shows "offline." The other 4 show "ready" and will print on demand.

The correct IP address for this printer is entered and acknowledged but print requests go into the queue and stop there. For some reason the computer seems unable to find this config. Should have left well enough alone!

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Connect the printer to a USB port on your computer. Get it working with the computer. Once all is good, put the printer in your network. Give it a static IP address outside of the DHCP pool. Then go to the printer properties and change the printer's port from USB to a TCP/IP port that you create for the printer.

14. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the quick reply. This has already happened- this printer was working fine via USB. Note that the same printer prints using the "universal" selection. I'm told that I can leave both cables, network and USB, connected, maybe that's what I should do.

15. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Follow-up- HP ToolboxFX cannot find this printer either. There has to be an "i" undotted somewhere, but I can't find it.

16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Try disconnecting the network cable. We need to get things working reliably via the USB port before proceeding with network setup.

17. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for posting, Tony- You did suggest that earlier, and I had a comment elsewhere that it's ok to leave both cables connected at the same time. But, when the HP software is installed, you have to choose between the two types of connections. Not sure if printer will work at this point with only the USB connection, but I was going to try it. I can't see a means to change the printer software from one method to the other- when I switched to the network cable, I had to remove and reinstall the printer software (all told, about 1½ hours).
    upload_2019-2-15_8-24-16.png
    This is generated by Start>Devices and Printers. In the bottom row, icons #4-8 all relate to the printer in question. Note the pop-up showing "offline" (the printer is powered up). The other 4 icons related to this printer all show "ready" and will print from the PC on demand.

18. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Good going. Thanks for the screen shots. Delete those unneeded printers. Keep the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

19. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Icon #3 is our other printer. As for the "Universal" icons- that's the only way I can print as of now. Those have always been there since we installed the laser (1522) printer some years ago. Never gave them a second glance until now, no idea what they're about.

There is another wrinkle in this bumpy journey- As stated earlier, the only way I could get the 1522 printer to use the network connection was to reinstall the complete software package, along with an update from last fall. The install seemed to be ok, but the Emsisoft anti-virus would not allow the update. And now neither the computer or HP ToolboxFX can find the printer, yet it will print via those "universal" icons. Scan and Copy work fine, haven't tried fax. I'm going to try and resolve this first.

20. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That printer for the M1522 looks good. Can you right click on it and go to Printer Properties? Which port is checked?