1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hp Notebook No Power Issue

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by timh1111, Jan 19, 2012.

1. timh1111

timh1111 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Good day everyone :) I think I already know the answer to this one but figured I'd put it out to all of you anyway. I am looking at my friends HP notebook. When the A.C. power cord is plugged into the wall and the unit, the LED light next to the power cord comes on but there is absolutely no power to the notebook. It will not turn on when pressing the pwr button. I'm thinking power supply is shot. What do you think?? Thanks :)

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Does it work on battery power? The power converter on a laptop is not the same as a PSU it is actually a transformer that converts AC power to a very low voltage DC power. If it is faulty it can do a lot of damage.

3. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Hi BCB. Does not seem to work on batt pwr either. I'm thinking the batt is not taking a charge.

4. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The power supply or as some call it the power brick, because it is about brick sized :snckr:
    Can be checked with a voltmeter to see if there is the correct voltage coming out. If so it is likely a fault on the internal power circuit within the laptop. That bit of circuit looks after powering the laptop from either the mains or battery and charging the battery. Sometimes a separate circuit board, but not always, and is part of the main motherboard. Depends on the make and model as to how the power circuitry is arranged.

Nev.

5. PseFrank

PseFrank Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In addition to the advice already given, one more thing that can be investigated is the power jack on the laptop. There is often a small metal pin that can be seen when looking closely at the jack. This pin should be firm and have no movement in it. To check this out, take a match stick or cocktail stick and very gently see if the small pin has any sideways movement. If it does, then the power jack may need resoldering onto the motherboard/powerboard. And in some cases may need to be replaced.

Try the matchstick test...

6. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    I'm not into this Idea of being used to check power jacks, especially if they are still plugged in :snckr:

7. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Thank you everyone for the feedback :) I don't think it's the plug/Jack on the notebook itself because there is a led next to the jack that lights up when it is plugged in Frank. Had it plugged in all weekend and the batt didn't charge. Not gonna spend too much time on it. I told her to contact HP and see what it would cost her to send it to them for repair.

8. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If the battery does not charge and it does not work with the power adapter connected, the first thing to do is try another adapter. Many of them are interchangeable and relatively cheap. Sending it to HP will cost a comparative fortune.

9. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Good idea BCB!! :) I'll see if she wants to have me look into one for her. Thanks for the idea ;)

10. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The light coming on next to the power jack socket, does suggest the power supply itself is OK and the fault may be inside the laptop itself. Don't buy if you can borrow a similar supply, just in case the original is perfectly OK.

Nev.

11. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    If you have access to a voltmeter you can check the voltage output by putting the +ve probe inside the hole of the jack socket and the -ve probe on the outside of the jack - obviously the metal part.

NB
    Set the meter to read 50V ( not 10V ) full scale as you are expecting a reading of something like 18V

12. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    BCB WINS!!! I had another laptop I was working on and tried that adapter in the non working laptop. Didn't work. I figured I'd give it one more try and ordered the power adapter for the laptop AND IT WORKS NOW!!! Seems that even trying another adapter may not be the answer. Thank you BCB :) As always, you are the best !!!