1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove screw from laptop?

Discussion in 'Hard Drive - HDD' started by mikehende, Jun 10, 2022.

1. mikehende

mikehende Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hey guys I have a few issues, I am trying to remove the Botton lid from this lenovo v330-15ikb laptop. First, I think I have rounded the head of the top left screw, what can I do to remove it please? This is the video for the quick instructions:

Attached Files:

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you rounded the head, drill a hole thru the screw and use an EZ out screw extractor. Problem is those screws are so small I don't know if there is an EZ out small enough that will work on them. You can try filing a straight slot that a regular screwdriver will work in.

3. mikehende

mikehende Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
  4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The Home Depot one won't work work - they're all too big.
    The Amazon one says it'll work on screws with diameter down to 2.3 mm which is 0.09055". I checked one of the laptop screws hanging around here to be 0.096". So this extractor should work. It's going to be tight so you have to be very careful.

Note: Some laptop screws have a smaller diameter, especially some of the newer ones.

Remember you'll need the appropriate drill bit. I suggest mounting the laptop in a small drill press when you drill the initial hole. You have to be part surgeon and part jeweler when working on laptops sometimes.

IJAC and mikehende like this.
  5. mikehende

mikehende Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thank you, will order the Amazon one. meantime, tomorrow, I will ask my Construction friend to attempt it as I have 2 major physical issues and should not be doing hardware work like this. I have severe Psoriatic Arthritis with swollen finger knuckles which restricts my grip and range of motion.

I would like to get a smaller lighter screwdriver preferably cordless which can work with small laptop screws, something like what this guy is using on this video, any referrals please?

Next at 60 now, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I need to get a magnifier and light to help this situation, I am thinking a magnifying light should help this, I am seeing many on google. From a Techie standpoint, is there one any of you guys here use and if yes and it works great for you, can you link me please?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC and mikehende like this.
  7. mikehende

mikehende Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    That looks great, thanks! Now, if any referrals for the screwdriver like the one in the video or cordless version of it, please link me, anyone.