1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Overclock A Intel Quad Core 2.33Ghz Q8200 And Nvidea 9800Gt 1Gb

Discussion in 'Overclocking / Modding' started by bloby22, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

How much can i up the voltage before i get to a point were its to far and i should stop....?
    and should i have the dram system memory multiplier at 3.00A (that's what i have it at) what does it even mean?

2. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

Dalo i give up ive tryed so many times to get this oc'ing working lests start from scratch. ive put my specs back to default (2.33)
    What do i need to change in the bios? just give me a list of things to change because ive most likely done something wrong previously so yea give me everything i need to change please.
    Thankue

3. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    When you ran prime did you run one instance? you ideally need to run one prime per core to stress it, so you need to open 4 instances of prime.

I you are not overclocking the RAM, it can only be the CPU that is causing the BSOD (when it does BSOD you need to give us some info on what it says caused the crash and we can diagnose further, if it just on say games that you get the crashes it implicates the GPU over the CPU (are you OCing the GPU?)

4. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

I ran instance of prime i had know idea i had to run 4 (and how many errors is it acceptable to say that its stable?)
    I was overlocking the ram because i saw other people on youtube do it with my q8200 i changed the frequency latch and the memory multipler.
    It rarley bsod though. it has a while ago though.
    Im not ocing the gpu its on auto.

5. Dalo Harkin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    I wouldnt Oc the RAM at all for now, just for diagnostic purposes to see if it still BSOD with the RAM not overclocked, for a 'stable' OC you should not get any errors, if there are errors then something is being pushed too hard for it to cope and the thing normally at the top of the list is the RAM.
    set all the RAM options you have changed to AUTO and save and exit the BIOS and run the 4x primes again

6. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

OK i put it at 3.1ghz and the the other frequency thing directly underneat it at 100.
    1.312V
    And the ram is set turbo as deafaut but it said put it as standered for overclocking becasue it may improve stabilty on standered it gave me bsod and when i put it back to turbo it worked.
    i ran p95 for a little and no errors and played mw2 and significant performace improvement and no crashing.

But...when i try and overclock it more to 3.4ghz and up the voltage a little it fails, i can tell it fails because when i save the changes it reboots twice before anything comes up (before bios screen apears)
    Then when it starts up and i can see the bios screen it sais its at 2.33ghz so while it was rebooting twice it was reverting the changes i made to 3.4ghz and putting them back to 2.33ghz.
    i even tested it and it was lagging massivley on mw2 becasue it was still at 2.33ghz.

Then i try and put it back to 3.1ghz and all the other stats i had before that worked and it sais its still at 2.33ghz i tryed it to see if it was just saying that. it wasnt it lagged on mw2.
    Why woulden't it accept the changes i made and i keep trying to put it back to 3.1ghz and it doesent configure.

7. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

When i go into bios and try and change the oc it sais this.
    The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage. Latest settings in BIOS my not coincide with current H/W states
    And when it bsod like i told u before and i had the ram at standered it said "A problem has been detected blah blah blah MEMORY_MANAGER. And when i put it back to turbo it worked fine

8. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

Help me dalo
    i change the memory multiplier to 3:00A and it boots i run p95 and worker 2 stops after 1 min then worker 1 after 4 min. How do i stop these errors.
    I try and up the voltages other workers give me errors then i try and it to 3.2ghz it boots but worker 3 stops then worker 1.
    What do i have to do to stop these errors its driving me insane [​IMG]

9. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

At 3.1ghz and the thing under it at 100 memory multipier at 3:00A voltage at 1.325 when i play about 15 min of mw2 and it blue screens and sais "page fault in non paged area"
    What the blue screen does that mean

10. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.33ghz Q8200 (Steping A)
    MOBO: Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    RAM: 2 X 2GB (4GB) Corsair Ram (Dual Channel)
    G Card: Nvidea 9800GT
    PSU: 650WT (Coller Master)
    Case: Thermaltake Armor MX+
    CPU Cooling Fan: Titan Fenrir (Temperature isn't a problem)

Ive tried changing voltages and memory and everything and nothing seems to give me a stable system. ( i use prime 95 and i keep getting errors)
    What should i change to i want it at around at 3ghz

11. Dalo Harkin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    That error is aimed at the RAM, when you are overcloking, it's ideal if the RAM matches the Speed of the FSB, becuase then you can just set a 1:1 divider for the FSB:RAM
    As you are having issues with the RAM you really just want to try and get the RAM to run at whatever speed the MOBO can run it at stably, ANY options that you see for your RAM should be AUTO this will then let the MOBO calculate everything based on your CPU OC, so set the FSB and the multiplier and anything that says RAM put to AUTO, it wont be the timing or anything thats not making this work its the RATIO at which the RAM runs to the OC.
    If you get stuck take a Pic of any of the options on the MAIN OC page where you adjust the FSB or just type the options on here

12. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

Just clarifying so i just change all ram options to auto? (except timing)
    Here are some shoots of my bios, what should i change?

Attached Files:

13. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

FSB is at 444, 3.1ghz (fsb is the ghz right?)
    PCI express frequency- 100
    CPU VCORE- 1.325V
    All ram is set on auto

These setting make the computer reboot twice and it reverts the settings i just made back to default.
    What is wrong?

14. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

By the way theres nowhere to change ram to 1:1

15. Dalo Harkin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    on your second page at the very top, system memory multiplier (SPD) set to auto, you should be able to change that (list the options on here and I will give you one dependant on what it says)

I would say that the RAM you have cannot function at 1333, can you give me the make and model number of the RAM and I will check that you dont need to up the Voltage of the RAM for it to run at 1333 (also amount of RAM across how many sticks)

16. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

System memory multiplier (SPD)
    2.40B
    3.20B
    4.00B
    2.00D
    2.66D
    3.33D
    4.00D
    3.00A
    4.00A

But some of these options become unevailable when the frequency latch is changed

Why wouldn't my ram be able to function at 1333 thats what it sais it is on the package. But in CPU-Z it sais my DRAM frequency is at 716.4 mhz ( The frequency should be 1333 shouldent it?) and it also sais in CPU-Z that the FSB:DRAM is 1:2.

My ram is corsair cm3x2g1333c9d and its 2 X 2GB sticks it runs dual channel if thats any help.

17. Dalo Harkin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt

put it at 3.33 and remember to SAVE and EXIT

These are more for me to remember

2 = 400
    2.5 = 500
    3 = 600
    2.66 = 533
    3.33 = 667
    4 = 800

18. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

what does the = 400, = 500, = 600 etc mean is that what i have to change the fsb to? or is that just for you.

19. bloby22

bloby22 Abusive

Ok putting it at 3.33 gave me blue screens so i tried changing voltages but it didn't work so i changed the ram from turbo to standard because in the little descrption box o the side it sais that putting on standard ay increase stability and it did my comp booted i ran P95 and got i error, worker 1 stopped does this mean i have to increase voltages to stop the error messege from coming up.

And by the way you cant run more than one instance of Prime 95 one application opens and it sais:
    Main thread
    Worker 1
    Worker 2
    Worker 3
    Worker 4

Im guessing that worker 1-4 might be my 4 cores. I dont know what main thread is though.

20. Dalo Harkin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    its more for my reference (I dont store EVERYTHING in my fragile little mind) lol
    with the BSOD, you can try upping the voltage on the sticks, but I wouldnt yet, its more the MCH that would need adjusting, but we dont want to do that yet if we dont have to

Give me a little time (by Monday) and I will have a look at that MOBO settings as my friend has one and i'll come back with some definative options for you ok