1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] How to Operate Two PC's on One Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by John Stenger, Apr 18, 2021.

1. John Stenger

John Stenger Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I have two separate Computers each with it's own Monitor, and I am looking for and easy way to use the same wired Plug In Keyboard, when switching between both of these machines, because trying to operate 2 Keyboards on the same desk is just ridiculously confusing!

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You need a KVM switch. It stands for Keyboard, Video, Mouse. It allows you to use one keyboard, monitor and mouse between two or more computers.

Just search for KVM switch and you’ll find several.

3. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Thank You Tony D! ...I searched on Google, and I see them!

4. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Before you buy, I have used many KVM switches over the years and if there is one thing I have learned, it is "don't buy the cheapest you can find".

Typically, keyboards and mice work fine, but monitors are where the problems are. We found over and over again, that cheap KVM switches frequently resulted in the monitor failing to sync up with the graphics solution after switching.

Also, make sure the switch supports the interface your monitor and graphics solutions use. Many switches are VGA/D-Sub only, for example.

So do some homework before buying. Read some reviews. Do not put total faith in "user reviews". Often times you will see products down-rated because it was a different color than shown on Newegg, the Post Office delivered to the house next door, UPS delivered it a day late, or the box looked like it fell off the FedEx truck. So if I am considering a product, I read the user reviews but I don't put a lot of stock in them, UNLESS there are several complaining about the EXACT SAME fault/defect with the actual product.

starbuck, plodr, Seth Anthony and 2 others like this.
  5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I own two IOGear brand KVM switches and have used them for years. Of course, our computers are old and have PS/2 connectors. The monitor uses a VGA connection. I also bought with audio support so the external speakers work with both computers.
    I have no experience with USB and HDMI/DVI/display port connectors.

6. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Sorry for late reply! I was hoping this was going to be a simple and inexpensive solution, but you say the inexpensive switches may not work! My Keyboard plugs into a USB Port and the 2 Monitors are VGA connectors. The Mouse is a wireless USB transmitter type. What type of Switch would be used with these components? Also one thing I don't quite understand, is the Monitor Connection on these switch's ...for utilizing the same monitor on both machines? Because I have a Monitor on each computer?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  7. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    As I noted in post #2
    I should have included the fact that you don't have to use the KVM with all three of those. You can use it for only one or two of them. Sounds like you wand to keep the two monitors connected separately to the two separate machines. Only connect the keyboard (and mouse is you wish) to the KVM switch. That will work.

If the keyboard is also USB, that's fine. Just make sure the KVM switch supports USB mouse/keyboard as opposed to the older PS-2 keyboard and mouse. You'll find that almost all the KKM switches out there are of the USB type.

This one should work. https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-2-Por...es&qid=1619179228&s=pc&sr=1-16&ts_id=13983771
    You'll plug your keyboard (and mouse receiver if you wish) into the switch. Then connect the USB cables that come out of the switch to each of your two computers. No need to connect the VGA monitor connections. There's a wired switch that you press to switch the keyboard (and mouse is it's connected) between each of the two computers.

IJAC and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  8. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    IJAC likes this.
  9. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Yes Tony D, that's all I really want to do! is eliminate the need for two Keyboards! and Maybe use the same Mouse, although that is not a necessity! ...Thank You! for your Help and the Link!

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  10. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.