1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

How Find HI-SPEED USB PORT on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    When using D-Link DWA-130 USB Adapter I get the following pp-up message box (see image). It is now plugged into one of the Left side USB ports. There are also 2 rear USB ports. How do I tell which port to use, or should I just try all and see if I get this message? Hi-Speed Port.jpg

2. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I plugged it into one of the rear USB inputs and did not get a message.

3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Blue colored ports on your computer, are the faster USB Ports.

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    How old is that computer? If it's fairly old, it may have some USB 1 ports. They were pretty slow compared to USB 2. Looking at the pop-up, there are USB 2 ports. Those are the ones you need to use. As a side note, I've seen instances where when I plugged in a USB 2 device into a USB 2 port, it would run at USB 1 speed (slow). I'd remove the reattach the device and it would work properly.

Going back to Dougie's post, he's referring to USB 3 - those are the blue ones as he noted. They are even faster.

USB 2 and USB 3 are supposed to be backward compatible. So everything should work with everything else.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Gateway 7320 7320GZ DOP3-5-2005 XP Home SP3. Never saw that message before and this is first experieence with USB adapter. I had unplugged it from back port and the extension cable it came with and plugged it into the Left side port. Then got the message. I plugged it directly into the back port again. Sometimes this wireless internet Verizon seems awfully slow anyway but so not see a solution for that. Just wait for the ten browser pages to come up and close 9 of them HA -HA. Thanks for the responses. Like to try and understand things even if no fix. Still beats Dial-Up.

6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Specs http://laptop.downloadatoz.com/review,gateway-7320gz.html
    4 x Hi-Speed USB means that you have four ports thare are USB 2.
    Because of the age of that laptop, some of the ports might be USB 1.

It came with only 512MB or RAM. Have you increased the RAM?

If you look under network devices, do you see this broadcom 802.11g network adapter? If so, you have wireless built in and don't need that USB unless the internal is not working.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Rustys like this.
  7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That IS why I have the USB. The computer shop I had set the laptop up for wireless said the Broadcom did not work. So I got the USB D-Link. Now that I have plugged it back into where it was I have not gotten this message box.

8. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yeah, sometimes that happens. You have to unplug and then plug them in again.