1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Like Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ricardo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 8 gig
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate X 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar X 1TB, WD X 500GB external
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Corsair TX750M 750W ATX12V
    Just curious, for those of you that are running Win 8, how do you like it???? I use to belong to another help forum and basically it was a mixed bag, I would say, 50/50, you either swear by it or swear at it. Lots of people didn't like the fact that there is no start menu and found the tile system a bit confusing. I don't plan on going with it for a while as I have only had Win 7 Ultimate for just over a year now. I have read up a bit on Win 8 and it seems to have some really neat features. I am happy with my current O/S.

Cheers: Rich :geek:

2. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

I love it. It took some getting used to, but, now that I've been using it what Microsoft is doing makes complete sense to me. Microsoft is starting to change the desktop OS with Windows 8. The desktop as we know it will be completely different in 5 years. The first step is removing the start menu. The next will have all apps open in metro and removing the desktop as we now know it.

The reason many people dislike Windows 8 is because we are creatures of habit and don't like change. We like what we've been working with sine Windows first came out. Many people didn't like the change from DOS to Windows either. The same discussions that you see now were going on then.

3. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Yes, basically a lot of people are adverse to change. I am going to wait until it has been out for a while, but, like I said, it does have some really neat features. I remember when Microsoft first came out with a start menu, people didn't like that either. Remember when Microsoft came out with Vista, the critics hated it and personally I liked it, albeit, it was very RAM intensive. I had to go out and buy more RAM because it was very sluggish at first. A new RAM stick did the trick and regardless what the critics said, I liked the O/S and I liked it a lot better than XP which I never really liked. To me it was a lot like having Windows 98 plus service pack 2. Anyways, who knows maybe I will give Win 8 a whirl in the next while.

Cheers: Rich :jump:

PS: I must congratulate you, you have a really good site here and I am enjoying it already.

4. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

Thanks much. We try to be as helpful and friendly as possible.

Vista was raw and then Windows 7 refined what Microsoft was trying to do with Vista.

5. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    First welcome and I echo our "owner's" comments!!

From what I gather the main issue is getting used to a new method of navigation. I have a computer sitting here waiting for windows 8 but I have just been lazy about doing it. My main fear was that we would not be up to date on where to look in order to sort out member's problems but from what I now understand everything is still there it is just that we need to learn new paths and shortcuts.

Despite everything though, I still think that W8 is a direct reaction to a need to get a good OS for tablets to fend off the iPad and to make a Windows tablet available to all manufacturers which, in the end, is probably a good thing.

6. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Yes and so far your members have been very friendly and helpful, much thanks for that. Unlike the last forum I belonged to and recently left. It was very clicky and the admin in particular was not very friendly and also some of the moderators. Almost to the point of being rude and arrogant. I like this site a lot so far. :nod:

7. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    At the moment I am hanging back, mainly for financial reasons, however they are easing a little and will soon be able to afford the hardware I want to enable running Windows 8 in an environment Microsoft seem to want it to run in.

Now for the misgivings, as we all now know, Microsoft changed direction to create and produce Vista, which did meet some resistance, but also there were quite a few things that although not completely wrong, were not exactly right either.

So Microsoft listened to at least the legitimate critiscism and very soon introduced Windows 7, which corrected some if not all the faults that Vista had and is a much better operating system all round.

Now Microsoft have changed direction once again and in a quite big way, so is there going to be problems in the same way Vista did? If so is Microsoft goint to set to and create Windows 9 to correct them?

Early days as yet, and not yet having Windows 8, I can only comment after seeing what other folk have found, which of course is not my own experience, so my hands are tied until the time I do try it out, or should I hang fire and wait for Windows 9?
    It paid off in waiting for Windows 7 but will that apply again?

Nev.

8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You can download and try the trial version free for 90days, Nev.
    Thats plenty of time to get the feel of Windows 8.

9. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am aware it is free to try for that 90 days, however, as daft as it may sound, I am determined to not try it until I have a touch screen in order to give it its full due.
    Like everyone else I have seen all the different revues, but the one thing that sways me more than anything else is Microsofts own adverts for it, which shows it exclusively under a touch screen environment.
    They haven't done that for nothing and must have some very good reasons for it.

Nev.

10. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I've been running 8 since early January, 2012 and rather like the critter. At first I thought I'd hate it just due to the lack of the Start Menu but found that within about a week I didn't miss it at all. I find it quicker than the Windows 7 side of my system with a MUCH faster boot time.

11. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I certainly don't intend getting a touch screen.
    I think a big majority will adapt to using W8 on their Desktops initially.
    I have made a lot of minor changes to W8 to make it quite user friendly.
    In fact I quite like using a mouse.
    Once you learn to navigate and use the short cut Keys it becomes a breeze.
    A lot of the time I have chocolate on my fingers so a touch screen and I wouldn't mix. :jump:

12. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    LOL! If nothing else the weather app is killer! ;)

13. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Hey Jay, I didn't know you were a member here, that's great. I just may build another machine and install Win 8 and play around with it.

Cheers: Rich :nod:

14. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I wasn't, Rich. I searched it out when you mentioned it in your email. My first attempt was computerhelpforums.org, NOT a good place to go. Malware notices flew all over the place. .org/.net can make a BIG difference. :)

Naw, don't build another... just shrink a partition and dual boot. ;)

15. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    I just may do that Jay, I have enough bits here to build another machine but dual boot would be easier in the beginning. I won't go with a touch screen tho. Well, back to bed, I have been sick with a really bad cold and it won't seem to let go of me.

Cheers: Rich :zzz:

16. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Rest up Rich and hope you feel on top of the world quickly. :smile2:

17. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Thanks DSTM, I just took some more meds and made myself a couple hot toddys hope that does the trick, at least I will get some sleep :bnghd:

18. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    I personally dont mind it BUT and its a pretty big but, anyone who has a Windows phone will be used to the tiles etc and it isnt hard to get around but I can see it being a huge jump for some people to get used to if you have never used it before.

I have seen it in use on many HTCP servers and for that I agree it is put to good use, I think it will be a very long time before people switch (if they switch to W8) and by that time a new M$ OS will be here

19. coyote

coyote Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I've been on Win 8 for about 2 weeks, and after the initial couple days of finding my way around, really like the OS. I upgraded my Vista Quad core desktop, so find the new OS quite a bit quicker and since it was an upgrade I pretty much have started with a fresh install. I cloned my original drive with a spare Sata, just in case I didn't like Win 8 or ran into trouble, but fortunately the upgrade was relatively quick and painless. I spend most of my time on the desktop, since I'm not too interested in most of the Apps. Once you get used to the Start screen, you don't much miss not having a start button.. I just use the Windows key to toggle if need be. I have a Win 7 laptop and a Win 7 duo core desktop that my wife uses, so it might be my next upgrade, can't go too far wrong for $39.

20. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I installed the Preview on a spare machine. It ran nicely. Then I took that hard drive and put it in the XP machine I usually use. It booted right up. No driver issues, even though the OS was installed on another machine.

The only 90 day evaluation I found required some MS ID. Do I just need to get some kind of account like Hotmail to download/install the 90 day eval version?