1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by solopirate, Jul 24, 2020.

1. solopirate

solopirate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello all.
    I have just bought myself a laptop, and with a bit of a learning process, i have figured out, how to basically use it. As an avid music lover, thats is one of the reasons i bought the laptop. However, my question is this:
    How do i download music?
    I have a portable CD Player that goes with me everywhere. I also have some blank RW CD`s, and some blank RW DVD`s. I want to download some music, add them to either of the disks, and place them in my player, so that i can listen to them wherever i go. I was informed that some music files you download are not the right format, (i have no idea what that means), and that i have to be careful what files i download, to make them play on my player. Where do i even begin? How do i get the right music files, how do i put them onto either of the disks, and do i need special equipment ?
    I have no idea what to do, so i am hoping that someone can lead me in the right direction.
    Thank you.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome SoloPirate.
    IJAC, one of our Advisors is pretty good at music. Waiting to hear what he has to say.

The file format for CD music creates pretty large files. You can only get about an hour's worth onto a CD disk. MP3 files take up less space on a disk. I have disks with 22 songs on them. However, they are what's called a lossy compression. That means that while taking up less file space, you lose a bit of sound quality. Some folks are adverse to that; others are not.

So you'll need to know if your CD player will play mp3 files. Some do, some don't.

Then you'll need to get music into your computers. You can 'rip' the music from your CDs or you can download songs. You'll usually have to pay a fee to download songs. I get songs from the iTunes on-line iTunes store. They cost between $0.99 and $1.29. For free stuff, you can do a search for 'where can i download free music". Be careful of where you download your free music. Some probably come with malware. Here'a an article to check out https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/best-free-and-legal-music-download-sites/

Once you have the music on your computer, you need to get them onto your CDs.

If you have songs in mp3 format, you can simply drag the mp3 files onto the CD and let your computer 'burn' the disk.

If the music is in CD format and you want to convert them to mp3 format, you'll need a program. I use iTunes. There are other programs. Audacity is one. Here's a tutorial from their website. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man... contain uncompressed,stereo WAV or AIFF file.

3. solopirate

solopirate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Wow, and it took me ages to learn the basics on how to use a computer. With all the info you gave me, it will be about 10 years to get through it all lol.
    The first thing i can tell you, is that the cd player does NOT like MP3 files.
    I have an mp3 player, with over 300 songs, so i tried transferring some of them, (via usb cable), to my computer, then onto a cd.
    While the transferring to the computer worked well, the cd player did not like the cd. Basically, it said "NO" on the display. That was a shame, as all the music i want is on the mp3 player. We got the portable player for the car, as my wife would like to listen to her music too, as there is no radio or anything in the car. (Was Mennonite owned).
    Maybe an explanation on how to get non mp3 music files, or, even better, a way to transfer what i have on my mp3 player to a cd, but changing the format over?. I have no idea what it is, but when a friend put music onto my mp3 player, it has a cone display, and the letter`s "vlc" next to the song. Again, i have no idea what that is.
    Many thanks.

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    VLC Player is a popular program that will play mp3 files and video files.
    It might be easier to get a CD player that will play mp3 CDs.

5. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I think some older CD players don't like MP3 CD'S my CD player will play MP3 CD"S. VLC will play just about every audio file out there. When you burn music to a CD you can burn it as a CDA I believe that is what the format is. It has been a long time since I burned a CD. Here is a list of audio file formats:https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/audio-file-format-right-needs/ I use a old phone as a MP3 player for my car with a SD card that is why I don't burn many CD'S anymore. You can also get a program to change the audio file format if needed. Also burn your CD'S at a slower speed some players don't like it if they are burned at a faster speed. You can learn this we can help just take your time I didn't know what I was doing in the beginning either.

6. solopirate

solopirate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Firstly, i would like to say thank you. Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for being patient with someone who has only just learned how to use a laptop computer.
    I also want to say, that i finally figured it out, (and my brain hurt`s :) ).
    What i did was to attach my mp3 player to my computer.
    I opened up something called Windows Media Player.
    I then transferred 18 song`s to the left hand side of the Windows Media Player (burn list).
    As i was adding, i could see the recently erased audio cd getting full (18).
    When that was done, i also created a playlist in the center of the Windows Media Player screen.
    When that was done, on the left, it said, "Start burn".
    When it was done, i put the cd in the portable cd player, and it worked, so i assumed the Windows Media Player, transformed the original mp3 files, into files that the cd disk could read. Whatever, it now works and now i can listen.
    I thought i`d better tell you guy`s how i did it, just in case, someone else may have the same question.
    Thank you everybody, and thanks to this forum.

Tony D likes this.
  7. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Great job windows media player burned it to a format your player could read so all is good. I totally forgot about media player but sounds like you are on your way. Need any more help we are here have fun. You are welcome check in any time.