1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

How do I bridge routers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by petespc, Jun 26, 2017.

1. petespc

petespc Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello, I have two routers.
    - TP link TP VG5612
    - ASUS DSLAC52U

I want to use the ASUS as a repeater and the tplink will be the initial modem at the wall socket.
    I can not make the asus a single main modem because it is to powerful and knocks out the node 600 meters up the street. My technician thoroughly said do not plug the asus in but use it as a repeater.
    I did find instructions on how to set up the tp link as a bridge how ever setting up the asus is not so easy.
    Can anyone offer me some pointers, thank you!

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What? How can that be? This is something that I can't believe. Can you shed more light on it?

3. petespc

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was able to set the settings in the tp link config page which was 192.168.1.1 or something.
    Using an ethernet cable from the tplink to the asus I was able to enter the asus config page by turning off tplink wireless.

Apparently there is a way to set the router as a bridge or a repeater, this would continue the net from tplink to asus and create a huge signal.
    I have just been reading about it and not having much success but I might need to call asus and ask them..

Does this make sense?

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    My question is about the reason for all this. It shouldn't be necessary. How can the wireless signal from the ASUS be knocking out something else. It doesn't make any sense to me. That's what I'm asking for clarification on.

5. petespc

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ah i see. So the asus is not knocking the node out through wireless but through phone cable.
    The node is the place where everyone in the street connects, apparently it is feeding 400 houses.
    So if I plug the asus in to the wall, i lose my own net.

The technician said it was a very strange and rare case but he made it clear that the router was closing off our net.
    So I have to use the TPLINK but I bridge it to the asus.

My desktop uses wirless and I want to strengthen the signal using the asus.
    So I need to configure the asus to act as a bridge and not a router.
    I think this is done through the configuration page of the asus router in the web browser.

6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Both devices are modem/router combos. That is the problem. You need one modem/router combo and a simple router only device.

I think the problem is created because you have two devices with modem capabilities.

7. petespc

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thank you, could you recommend me a router only devidce that would act as a repeater and stronger wireless?

Thanks

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Here's something to try:

Connect one of the yellow Ethernet jacks from the TP link to one of the yellow Ethernet jacks of the ASUS unit. On the ASUS, turn off DHCP.

Note the SSID on the TP link and the ASUS will be different (unless you've changed the default). Suggest putting the wireless signals on different channels.

You can connect wirelessly or direct (via Ethernet) to either router.