1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotmail website address probs.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by john hughes, Sep 10, 2022.

1. john hughes

john hughes Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. Could anyone put me right. I have two laptops. One has win 10 and the other is an old win 7. I have recently formatted one of the laptops getting rid of a flaky win 7 operating system and reinstalled a new copy using the windows recovery option. However, i have tried to open my hotmail account on win 7 but was greeted by a sign in screen . When i tried to enter the hotmail details at the first opening screen it changes to a screen that says "Microsoft" followed by two boxes . One box for email address and the other for the password. Underneath you have "no account" create one. Underneath that is "sign in with a security key" followed by the "next" box. If i try to create a new account i get the attachment screen as shown. Your connection is not private. Clearly this indicates that the site is not trustworthy and could be dangerous. Sounds a bit iffy but does not answer the question as to why i cannot get hotmail.
    Typing in the address https://outlook.live.com/owa/ for hotmail in win 10 is perfectly ok and i have used my account without any trouble for ages and is straightforward yet it is not acceptable on the older laptop with win7. I also have Gmail and have noticed that i can enter that account with no trouble at all on win 7 and 10. Anyone got any ideas as to what causes this and how to solve the problem of not getting hotmail in windows7. What have i missed?

Attached Files:

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Using my W7 machine with Chrome, I was able to log into my MS account using outlook.live.com/owa.

Since you just reloaded your machine with a fresh version of W7, do all the updates and make sure the time is set right.

IJAC likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I also have no problem using Win 7 (32 and 64 bit), logging in with FF.
    A fresh copy of Win 7 lacks some of the https requirements, I suspect.
    You have to be sure to do the last Servicing Stack update Jan 2020 #4536952 otherwise updates won't install.

Don't create another account in hotmail because none of the emails in your current working Win 10 will be visible in Win 7. You don't want one account in Win 7 and a different account in Win 10.

4. john hughes

john hughes Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello plodr. Could i just say that I have solved the “your connection is not private" problem with all websites I now visit on windows 7 except getting into Hotmail. I imported the ISRG Root X1 Certificate using internet options >content>certificates>Trusted root certification authorities along side DST root CA x3 using the certificate import wizard. There is no more "connection is not private" screens having done that. However, still cannot get into hotmail account on win 7.

I don’t understand what you mean by "last Servicing Stack update Jan 2020 #4536952 otherwise updates won't install". I am having trouble installing service pack 1 on win 7 and other updates. Could you explain servicing stack update etc?

Thank you for your help.

5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I didn't realize you had to install this. Your Windows 7 is really out of date.

Forget the 2020 update I mentioned. I assumed SP1 was on.