1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, i need help testing a battery or a port of battery of a laptop dell

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by bugg8, Aug 10, 2014.

1. bugg8

bugg8

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi i have a XPS M140 dell laptop, and bought a new battery, wich came charged to 40%, the instructions said that i should discharge the battery to 2% and then chargeit to 100% for first time.

I used the laptop withouth cord until it was 3%, then i plugged it but the amer light that should appear it is not when i plug the laptop with the battery installed, then i check the energy administrator (i have xp and lubuntu, and it both was the same) and it said "charging" but it stayed in 3%, i let it more than 12 hours plugged but never charged the battery, it is still in 3% and the light of the battery doesnt turn on.

I dont know if the battery is bad, because it worked when had charge, or is maybe the laptop that is not charging.

Is there a war to check if this port is charging electricity to the battery? i have a multimeter and i know how to open this laptop. Any information would be helpful as i havent been able to found information on this.

and also is there a way to know with the multimeter if the battery is allowing energy to charge it?

i hope you have understood, im still klearning english, thanks for your time

2. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    There really only are 2 possibilities and that is the power cord is not good or the battery is not good. Failed power cords actually are quite common these days
    and I would bet anything you bought a "compatible" battery here and not Dell branded which is also a mistake as they almost never work properly. I would try another cord and if there is no difference simply return the battery.

3. bugg8

bugg8

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi im sorry i forgot to say that the cord im using it works because i use it with another laptop.
    Also i have another 3 cords and i tried it with all and it didnt charge.

It is a dell battery, and is new.

I know it can be the battery, but it would be odd that the battery did work with the charge that it came from the box. So, i think (im new and still learning in repairing laptops and PC) it might also be that the motherboard isnt charging, is there a way to know this?

The baterry it is a dell battery, the problem is that my dad bough it in another city (in mine city we couldnt found it), so to make the guarantee valid it says that it only applies to non-working batteries, and that they can only repair this one or change it for another one.

That's why id like to know (besides id like to know it to learn more about laptops and using a multimeter) if theres a way to test this, i wouldnt like to pay shipping just to found out that the battery is good or that they change it for another one but if the problem is the laptop then it would have been a waste of money and time.

thanks for your time and answering my thread

also, i forgot to ask, it is normal that a new battery came with only 40% charge from the box?

thanks

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Testing the charging circuit is difficult. There are several contacts that connect the battery to the computer. I think some are for charging and some are for monitoring. You would have to know which we're which. Then physically getting onto the connections would be difficult. Additionally, to monitor the charging current, you would need to place a current meter between the proper computer pins and battery pins. You would also need to know what values to expect.

I think you have a bad battery.

5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    I agree with Tony and no batteries usually come with more charge than that as I have generally seen 60-80% depending on how long it has been sitting. Is it possible they sold your data a used battery as new?
    That is what it feels like and is this the exact battery for this laptop?

One other thing I wonder about is you mention using this cord with another laptop and that I find scary because if this cord isn't the exact one for that laptop, it could have created the problem where you can't recharge properly and then the problem would be in the board.

6. compusimple

compusimple

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Any possibility that the problem is with the power connector inside the laptop. I have seen soldering joints break on some.

Elliott

7. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    So have I Elliot, good thought!

8. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Without dismantling the laptop down to the motherboard you can check that by moving the power jack plug side to side or up and down, if the charge light flickers, it is a dry joint on the motherboard, or power board if separate, where the jack socket is soldered on.
    Once the motherboard is out, you might see a dark or even slightly burned spot on the central connection to the motherboard.