1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Help with files

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by darkgohan, Nov 24, 2019.

1. darkgohan

darkgohan Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello my first post here,not up to speed with forums! I have a win 10 Home version. I created a folder on mt D top,and placed 9 files in it for exercises,but they are not in numerical order. I searched and tried a few suggestions,but nothing has fixed this. Hoping someone here can give me a pointer. Thank you dark...

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome darkgohan, If you're viewing your file in the "Details" mode, at the top of the window, click on the word Name. It will sort alpha-numerically. Click on it again to changed from ascending to descending order.

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If I want things in order, I place numerals in front of the file or folder name.

For example, I have 3 years of Windows patches for 7 on a USB stick. The normal order is alphabetical or by size, neither of which I want.
    The first I have written as 01Nov2016, followed by 02Dec2016, 02Jan2017. The latest is 36Nove2019.
    They maintain the specific order I want.

If you have lots of files and expect to go over 100, then name the first one 001.
    If you simply use 1, all the names starting with 1 are first like 1, 11, 12, 13, 14... That's why zeros in the front are necessary.

I do the same with my mp3 files. If I want them in a specific order, I place numbers before the song title.

4. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Not sure here. If I click on view in the folder,I see details,but cannot see Name nor alphabetical sort alpha anything. Sorry hope you can aid me further. Thank you

5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When you're in Detail view, you should see columns with information about the file name, when it was modified, the file type, etc. The first column is normally the one containing the file name. At the top of the column is the word Name. That's what you click on.

How does your listing seem to be sorted? It's usually by name. That can be changed.

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    In this screen shot you can see a folder on my computer. See I have Name highlighted. It sorts the items by folder first then by files. The files starting with numbers are first. They are sorted numerically. After that you see the names are sorted alphabetically.

upload_2019-11-25_10-42-14.png

7. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    No mine does not look like yours
    In view left top I see navigation panel-preview panel-details pane,next area has icon stuff,plus another reference to details. I am using openshell win seven on my computer if this makes any difference,my informs me. Thanks

8. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Going to try a screenshot,never before
    upload_2019-11-25_9-28-35.png

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Click on View - it's 3 clicks to the right of File near the top of the screen. Once you're in there, look toward the top center for the Layout box. In there you will find a Details option. Click on that.
    upload_2019-11-25_13-55-18.png

Attached Files:

10. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    So I clicked on details,for the life of me,nothing was apparent in doing so. What am I looking for? I tried sort by,but no idea again. Thanks Dark...

11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Good, that's the right place. After you clicked on Details, did you get the file names in columns instead of the large thumbnails? If so, click on the word NAME at the top of the column with the file names.

Note: If nothing was apparent, try clicking on something other than Details such as List. Do you see a change?

12. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Here is another screenshot
    upload_2019-11-25_13-55-19.png

13. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I tried clicking on NAME,nothing,so as the screenshot show,I clicked on sort by,hit ascending,nothing

14. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You might want to click the drop down arrow to the right of the word Name and uncheck those groping boxes. 20191125_170434.jpg

Attached Files:

15. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Grouping boxes gone,still no numerical fix. Do we give up,I really appreciate all the effort here.

upload_2019-11-25_15-38-41.png

16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Get back to the Details view like you had in post #12. Then click on the word Name at the top of the name column. Click once to soft in ascending order. Click again to sort in descending order. Each time you click on the work Name, it will toggle between sorting in ascending and descending order.

They may be sorted properly. Windows will sort by name when that option is selected. You do this by clicking on the word Name in the name column.

You have to understand how Windows sorts file names. Looking at your screen shot, you have Think Somantics sometimes followed by a space and other times followed by a dash (-). That makes a difference. Windows will put the files with the space before files with a dash. A space is considered higher than a dash, just like the letter 'a' is higher than letter 'b'. Also as the number 1 is higher than the number 2.

For instance see how Windows sorts these similarly named files. Spaces rank higher than dashes. See how File-1 is lower than File 25? That's because there is a space after File in File 25, but a dash after File in File-1
    File 1
    File 2
    File 25
    File-1

Try naming your files consistently. That will help. After renaming the files, you have to close the folder and re-open it so Windows will sort them again.

17. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I think I have it,please let me know what you think.
    upload_2019-11-25_17-49-39.png

18. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Looks good to me. However, I prefer to look at files in the Detail view, not any icon view. It's looks better when there are a lot of files.

19. darkgohan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you so much. You have been very patient with me,and I appreciate you.

20. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You're welcome. I'll mark this as solved.