1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Help With 'audiodg.exe' Consuming My CPU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by godlesswonder, Jan 28, 2017.

1. godlesswonder

godlesswonder

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    TL;DR - The process "audiodg.exe" is eating up 30-40% of my CPU at all times, the common solution found online does not help.

Hello there.

I was recently noticed substantial lag from my laptop. While in Task Manager I see that 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' (audiodg.exe) is running constantly, and consuming more than a third of my CPU resources. It runs at startup and continues to run for as long as the system is on.

This is the (or a component of the) primary audio engine, and cannot be turned off/disabled - there would be no sound. The lowest it consumes is roughly 30%, and it bounces around up into the low 40% range every few seconds.

From many, many forum searches, I see this issue is several years old, but with no solution that has worked for me. The solution offered is to 'disable all enhancements' in the audio properties panel. I had none on to begin with - every thing there is unticked. No enhancements are running at all.

There 'appeared' to be a hotfix associated with the problem (Windows6.1-KB981013-x64.msu), and I have downloaded two instances of this from seperate sources - one from the official Windows site, and another off site when that didn't work for me. I get the same error from both;

"Installer encountered an error: 0x80096002 The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found."

I read that this is "caused due to misconfigured system files in your operating system. You get this error code when you try to install an incompatible software or a driver onto your PC". No idea of the validity of that claim, but they recommended running it compatibility mode for 7, which I tried, to no avail. Same error. Also, I appear to have no updates available via Windows updates (I mention that just in case that hotfix might have been included in a Win 10 update).

So that's where I stand. A fairly well known issue that is rendering my (admittedly cheap) laptop mostly unusable at the moment. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sys specs;
    Dell Inc. Inspiron 15-3552 4.0.7
    1.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron N3050
    4 GIGS (generic?) RAM
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 HD 500 GB
    Win 10 Home

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    I see under a different alias, Bleeping haven't got any answers for you as yet.
    The only information that I have read is you need to disable "All Enhancements"in playback Device properties.

3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Seems you're working with at least one other forum on this. If this issue started recently, try doing a System Restore to a time before the issue started.