1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Lost photos

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Adam_Uk42, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:15 AM.

1. Adam_Uk42

Adam_Uk42

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Folks

Can anybody help?

Recently I have transferred thousands of photos from my hard drive on to portable storage as am gonna buy a new pc.

Unfortunately one big file containing about 3k images I somehow missed out, and the really gutting thing is that I've deleted it now AND emptied the recycle bin!!

I've tried using software such as restoration and disk drill to no avail.....

The annoying thing is most of these photos I can still view as thumbnails in my Sony Media Go app (which I use for transferring images from my phone to my pc). When I click on these image thumbnails it won't let me view a bigger version though as it says they don't exist anymore......

Does anyone know what I can try if anything??

Thanks in advance

Adam

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
  3. Digerati

Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    If Recuva doesn't help then another you can try is Wise Data Recovery. That said, all these file recovery programs work pretty much the same way. Windows doesn't really delete files when you delete them. It just marks in the drive's file tables those storage locations as available or as free space. New files can then be saved (written) to those locations. The deleted files remain on the drive and intact, until overwritten again. This means the more the drive is used after deletion, the worse your chances of recovery become. :( These recovery programs search the drives for those files.

Some file recovery programs are better than others at finding file fragments and that may be helpful when trying to recover a large Word document. You might be able to recover parts of the document so you don't have to retype the whole thing. But with image files, you really need the whole file.

What I am saying is, if your Disk Drill was unsuccessful, don't get your hopes up with Recuva or Wise. :(

You might also check out Windows 10 Backup and Restore to see if a copy is still in your File History folder.

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 but this is another example of why every backup routine should always include multiple backup copies, with at least one stored off-site.

As for your thumbnails, those are separate image files, not views of the same full-sized images.

Good luck.

4. Adam_Uk42

Adam_Uk42

Operating System:
    Windows 10

5. Adam_Uk42

Adam_Uk42

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks for the advice, Ive tried the recuva already. Like you say I think that a lot of them have been copied over now as it was prob a few weeks b4 I realised my error.

Think it was the thumbnails that gave me false help!!

Thanks again though mate

6. Digerati

Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Ouch! Sorry.