1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alan wang, Jun 25, 2020.

1. alan wang

alan wang

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I recently have been getting errors saying " reboot and select proper boot device occasionally on my computer. Usually after i restart it a couple times the error just goes away but now its not working. It wont show my hard drive in the boot devices or my boot priorites but it does show my external hard drive. I tried changing the connections of where it was connected to and unplugging and replugging my hard drive but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any solutions?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and Welcome Alan. The computer’s connection to the internal drive is getting lost. Since you’ve already changed the connections to the board, the next step is to replace the connecting cables. If that doesn’t work, the hard drive probably has an issue. Swap it out.

Back up your data.

3. alan wang

alan wang

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I took out the hard drive and found that there is a buzz and scratchy sound coming from it, could that mean that my hard drive has failed, if so how can i back up my hard drive without my computer?

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The scratchy sound is indicative of a failed/failing hard drive. Here's a YouTube video depicting some hard drive sounds.

Firstly, continued use of the hard drive may cause further damage to files. It may be harder to recover files even for data recovery professionals. Professional data recovery costs typically range from $400 to $$3,000.

So if you want to proceed with backing up files yourself, there are two options.
    1) If you can boot to the drive, you can back it up to your external drive.
    2) If you can't boot to the drive, you'll need another computer to backup your data. You can attach the drive to another computer using a SATA to USB adapter such as this https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Cable...1&keywords=sata+to+usb&qid=1593171466&sr=8-13

Rustys and Seth Anthony like this.