1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard disk or other problem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by karthik316_1999, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    You cant use anything paper based with Thermal paste, you need lint free cloth

2. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

Okay.. my BIOS does not have any option to obtain information/adjust the shutdown temperature... Mine is a totally un-configurable and un-customisable "Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility"..
    I did not even have an option to set the frequency of my CPU.. Match and I tried but could not find any customisable option in my BIOS.. aah here is the thread http://computerhelpforums.net/topic/14398-intel-pentium-m-processor-17-ghz-600-mhz/page__view__findpost__p__52993

May i ask why is it so important to make a note of this temperature before I buy a pad?

3. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It isn't, a decent pad will keep things cooler regardless. My guess is that Dalo is just looking out for you and making sure that it is a cooling issue. The thing is, if you are going to use it on a bed there is no point in checking temps while it is on the kitchen table except to seek out a more general heat problem.

4. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

I'm sorry.. I dont get you? :blink:

5. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sorry about that! :) The whole issue regarding a cooling pad came from your question about heat issues and different kinds of surfaces. Bed vs Granite if I recall. My point is that if you have overheating issues that stem from the surface you may not detect it on a proper surface.

Laptops performance on soft surfaces differ greatly and the vast majority should never be used on a bed. A hard surface on the bed is much better and a cooling pad better still.

6. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    what I was getting at is laptops have a pre configured shutdown temp they all do lets say its 30 degrees (everyone who has the same laptop regardless of their geographical location will be set to the same)
    What I am saying is that as you are in India where it is noticably hotter than say the UK it may need adjusting to a more 'realistic' level