1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimlins among us?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Bill L., Nov 9, 2015.

1. Bill L.

Bill L.

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    For some time now I have had weird happenings on my computer. Loss of files, contacts wiped out completely, and no one uses my computer but me. I fix it and it's fine for about a week or two and then problems again.

I have other wireless computers in my area close, am beginning to believe there is a clown in this area causing me this grief. I should mention that I THINK most of these problems started about the time my router went south, and I have not replaced. it.

Next, several years ago I was having similar problems , and discovered a check box not checked,. Checking, it disallowed anyone else from coming in. Problems stopped. However, am getting old as methuselah now, and can't find that box anymore to check it. (It may have been when I was running XP.) now running Win 7.)
    Any and all thoughts how I can have peace computing again. - Welcome. Been computing since the Commodore 64 days. However, should mention that I am now 86, and my mind is not as sharp as it used to be. e-mail also.
    Bill L.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Please remove your email address, Bill. That is dangerous to display on the net. Thanks.

3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hi Bill, Being that you have only one computer and that you're the only one using it, the only reason I can think of to explain missing files is that someone is getting into your machine somehow. Firstly, ensure that you have a password to access your computer when you boot it.

To set a user password to get into your computer, go to the Orb which is usually located in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Click on it and then click on Control Panel.

If your comuter is set to display settings in a Category view, click on User Accounts and Family Safety. Click on Change your Windows password. Click on Create a password for your account.

If you computer is set to display settings in an icon view, click on User Accounts. Click on Create a password for your account.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.