1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGBG, Sep 3, 2020.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have a Google Chrome that keeps opening up without my desiring it. I use gmail. If I remove google chrome will this affect gmail? Also Internet Explorer keeps opening up without my opening it. Why?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you remove Chrome, it won't affect your gmail account. However, the question should just be why are Chrome and IE opening without your intervention. Shut the machine down using the Shut Down command. Don't put it to sleep, shut it down. Then restart it. Do Chrome and IE still open without your intervention?

allheart55 (Cindy E) and IJAC like this.
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I forgot to mention: sometimes lately the PC stops responding, the windows appear faded out and mouse shows hourglassinstead of arrow. And also lately the internet explorer and google chrome start openng up. I think i am already using Google Chrome but do not understand why it would start opening by itself and asking me in a small window if I want to switch to IE. When it stops responding I restart then OK. I get confused about it.

4. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Make sure if you are using Google Chrome it is set to the default. Go to settings, Apps click on default Apps. Scroll down to the web browser setting and if it isn't set to Chrome click on it and select Chrome. As to why IE is opening also I am not sure why that is happening.

5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Browsers should not be opening up on their own.
    Have you scanned your computer with an av and malwarebytes?

Rustys likes this.
  6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Today I went to check gmail . That opened but also a google inrnet explorer window opened at same time. Smething is happening that I never encountered since starting computer use in Nov 1998 and is just happening now. Not really a problem and do not have time to fool around with it but I agree that things should not and never have been opening on their own.
    When malwarebytes does a scan I have been clicking Quarantine. Is this the correct action?
    Looks like I do have Google Chrome since 8-7-2019 and it IS set as default browser. Also have IE but never use it. Saw Google ws set as default search engine but I had set DuckDuckGo as default and reset that. Maybe I should check all my settings. I have been simply USING the computer lately and not fooling with the workings and settings.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  7. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Were and what are you clicking on to open GMail?

If you are using the desktop icons that you created using links from a browser what you state is normal. The links have to go through a browser and windows made IE the default.

What is your default home page set for your browsers?

8. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Personally if you are doing this a lot you have two option I see.
    1 Post and follow the instructions in the Malware section.
    https://computerhelpforums.com/forums/malware-removal-help.59/
    READ https://computerhelpforums.com/threads/preparation-for-malware-removal-help-all-windows-os.41927/
    READ https://computerhelpforums.com/threads/who-may-post-replies-in-the-malware-removal-forum.40104/

2. Complete wipe and reinstall DO NOT install any third party programs.

Tony D likes this.
  9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    To open GMAIL there are 20 shortcut icons in the left tray next to the START icon. May be called the quick-launch toolbar but I forget. I see gmail DOES open with chrome and I DO have chrome installed but this stuff I am reporting is new.The PC is a Dell laptop I have had since 6-11-2012. I will review all this when have time and see if I can figure out what is going on.

10. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If you are seeing 20 gmail icons, these are not shortcuts; they show either open programs or a way to launch a program fast. Are you sure it is gmail and not Chrome that you see? gmail is simply a webpage used through a browser. There should not be 20 instances of anything open.
    Right click 19 of those icons and select close this window.

11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I will check this out. I think you are right. Maybe I do not really know how to make taskbar shortcuts, at least at the time.I created them . I could Rclick them and select delete. But what is correct prcedure for making a shortcut so can replace them?? When I Right Click I do nt get a "Close This Window" option. I get
    Open, Print, Restore previous versions, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Properties drop down menu..

And now when I Left Click any of them they open up the correct window. It seems to be the first time of the day I get a Google window and a IE window tryiing to make IE the default browser. I guess this is not a real problem but it never happened before and it annoys me when things do not work like I am used to.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  12. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Post a screen shot so we can see what exactly you are seeing.

May need to be more than one.

Which browser do you want to be the default?

I can totally agree with this.

13. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Here is a screen shot of the tray shortcut icons. I forget how I created them. But they are working fine now. I have and want Google Chrome set as default browser and have had it for a long time. All of a sudden there is a yellow line enclosed popping up offerring to make IE the default browser, usually when I first start the PC. I start in morning, leave it on all day but close lid to make it sleep suring day when not in use. I do not have battery and do not need one for use only at desk. Burned out so I did not replace.
    All of a sudden funny different than usual things began happening so I thought I would ask about them. Seem as usual at the moment. I left click the tray icon and the correct program opens up. There are 21 of them at the moment.

If I left click the GMail icon this is what I get: (see next image below)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    THIS IS WHAT POPS UP ANY OLD TIME. Last one is the Gmail referred to above.

Attached Files:

15. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    These windows just open anytime. I just close the window and Rclick taskbar shortcut and select unpin from tackbar and they are gone. Do not know why they pop up now or how to stop it. Does not seem to relate to the shorcuts in the taskbar to R if Start at lower left corner.

16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    On the one that asks if you want Internet Explorer as your default, click the down pointing arrow to the right of No. There's probably an option to not ask again. Select that.

17. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks. I will try that next time.

18. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This is the Chrome page. But how do I know if it is same or different than the Chrome I am using, and if already using Chrome should I say YES or NO? It shows up when I start PC. And maybe during day. My first impulse was to dismiss it then I started to wonder if that was good.

P.S. Tony- I did as you said, clicked drp-down, and selected Don't Ask Again.

Attached Files:

19. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That page looks like it's being displayed by Internet Explorer. If you click the gear icon in the upper right corner, it'll open a menu. I'll bet at the bottom it says About Internet Explorer. Please verify that.

20. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You have 21 quick launch tray icons. I have 5. 21 seems excessive.
    You have VLC and 2 with a musical note. What are the two with a musical note? I doubt that you need 3 quick launch icons just to listen to music. Decide what you prefer and get rid of the other 2.

What are the 2 icons that only show ? symbol?

The 6th symbol over, the orange checkmark. What is that?