1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Gmail Account on Phone and Internet

Discussion in 'Email Issues' started by BGBG, Jul 16, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I posted this earlier in browsers then I see there is an emails issues forum. Maybe I posted this in wrong place. If so I am sorry and apologize.
    I did find a way to delete google gmail account from phone. Unsure if it deletes it from computer also. Guess I will find out as I try it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question about my gmail account. I have a free gmail account I opened when another email service was discontinuing its free email accounts at end of July. I only use this email for orders and less important things. So it is sort of "disposable". I also have a prepaid cell phone I have only for voice minutes but I also get text minutes and data minutes which I neither use, want, or need. I was exploring the text and data functions today and when tried to open a google account I ended up using my existing gmail account. Now I decided I do not wish to do any texting or data but only talk with the cell phone. Since the gmail on computers is tied in with the gmail account on the phone, I believe I will have to online delete the gmail account altogether which will remove it from phone and computer. Then I will set up a new different free gmail account for computer and use only talk minutes on phone but no accounts, internet, texting at all.
    Does this sound like it is the best option? To just delete the google gmail account altogether and create a new one, since i could find no options to only delete the one on the phone? I saw online at google/my account there was an option to delete the account and it said all devices would have it deleted. Just wanted opinion on what I should do.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No need to delete anything. Just don't access it from your phone.

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    A gmail account is handy, especially on a computer.
    Do you know that you get 15GB of FREE storage on google drive?

I use that as another place to archive some files that I don't want to lose. The files are private and yet, if I want to share a file, I can do so.

Rustys likes this.
  4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have a g mail question and I do not think I asked it before or it could have changed. Verizon has purchased AOL and now provides me AOL Mail at no cost but it has begun sending me email ads which I do not want. Did not see any opt out options even though I believe them to be myths and fantasies anyway.
    If I have to, instead of cluttering up my main email with spam, junk, and ads, I would just stop using the AOL mail and get another free g mail account, but I am not sure since i have one free g mail account already, if i am allowed a second or more. Does anyone offhand know this??
    This particular item is a PC Cleaner that has 30 day free trial and costs you $4.99/month if you buy it or forget to remove it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have found sometimes email deleted is not really deleted but stored somewhere else, maybe a hidden file. Can anyone tell me if/where such a file folder may be found on XP Home or Windows 7?

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you're accessing AOL mail using a broswer (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) it's full of advertising. If you access your Verizon/AOL mail via an email client such as Thunderbird, you won't see all those ads.

You can have more than one gmail account.

7. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    If you are using a web based email, such as Gmail, AOL or Yahoo, all of your email and information is stored online not on your computer.
    If you are popping your email, to an email client such as Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook, then you will have a copy in a hidden folder.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Cindy:I do have a Thunderbird account. Have to check it.

Tony: That must be the problem. Must start using Thunderbird more.

Rustys likes this.
  9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    How do I download Thunderbird and set up a gmail account on it on the windows 7 computer? Have forgotten how I did it on XP.
    An I am considering ignoring the Verizon AOL which now is requiring all sorts of new things by Nov 7 and just using a web mail g mail account. Verizon mail worked well for awhile and now was sent this: Nice thing about Verizon mail is I did not have to keep updating, changing passwords, reading notices, and bothering to figure out a bunch of things. Then when they acquired AOL the intrusion begins after about oa year of uninterrupted bliss. This AOL mail is starting to annoy me. Too much bother I never had before.
    AOL SAYS:
    "We hope you are enjoying your improved email experience since switching to AOL. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of our customers so we're writing to inform you that your current third party email application is not using the latest, secure mail connection settings. In order to continue sending and receiving your verizon.net mail via your third party email application, you must update your connection settings by November 7, 2017.

Please visit our help site for instructions on how to update your settings.

To avoid having to make changes in the future and to ensure you are using up-to-date security settings, we recommend that you download the AOL app or use mail.aol.com to send and receive your AOL Mail.

For more information, visit our FAQ page.

Sincerely,
    AOL Mail. "

So I want to set up g mail with Thunderbird on this W7 PC. And not be bothered with this.

10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional