1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

G Mail Version

Discussion in 'Email Issues' started by BGBG, Nov 24, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Where do I find the version of gmail on my PC. I was looking for the version and cannot find it.

2. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    What are you using to access G Mail?
    Usually under the Help Menu then select About.

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    gmail is not on your PC. It is a web page and is accessed by firing up a browser and going to the web page and logging in.
    https://www.google.com/gmail/about/

If you have an Apple or Android device then you might have a gmail app but a PC is not an Apple or Android device.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Reason I asked and thought it was some version was because my wife has an ASUS with Windows 1, it has gmail webmail, and the screen or inteface or whatever it is called is different than what I have on XP and Windows 7. I have looked on my windows 7 and have found no way to set it for any other appearance. Hers has 3 sections called Promotions, Social, and Primary that can be clicked on. Mine does not have this. Both say loading HTML version at bottom of entry screen. Just trying to figure out why they are different if not different versions. This is my main page.
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox

I will keep trying and see if I am overlooking something. I clicked the link you suggested and it shows a picture like I described but mine is not like that. DO not know why nor how to change it. I thought maybe it would update itself when they changed appearance.
    My gmail is free but so is the other one so it must not be a paid for version. How can I get the new one shown?

I looked under settings but so far I can find nothing like this.

To Rustys: I am using the Dell Inspiron M5040 laptop with Window 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit Copyright 2009 and Verizon internet.No problem with it but I just looked at my wife's PC and wondered why the gmail screen was different than mine.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Was not asked my me.

Now you can use an email program like Thunderbird or Outlook too.

Did you mean Windows 10 and not Windows 1?

There may be a app that they may have installed through the Store.

6. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    While your gmail account is showing in your browser,
    Go to Settings - it's the little gear icon near the top right.
    Select Configure.
    Click to enable Promotions and Social.
    Click on Save to save the changes.

Note: in the screen shot I included, you'll see that I don't have Social enabled, but I do have forums enabled. In the forums tab, I don't get email from this group, but I do get emails from other groups.

upload_2018-11-26_11-45-15.png

7. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have gmail set to basic html because it loads faster. It's ugly but I prefer the speed.
    This is what it looks like

gmail_basic.jpg

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    TOO LATE TO EDIT, but yes I meant to type Windows 10 and NOT Windows 1. Sorry about that. Though I am not sure anyone in this group REALLY THOUGHT it was windows 1.
    I mainly wondered why the two gmail pages were different bu I am content to keep what I have now that I see. I think basic will be best as plodr said. Ugly does not matter.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This is strange. On my windows 7 computer I got my gmail account page up. Then I got my wife's account page up. Was surprised to see MY page was the simplified one while MY WIFE'S page was the NEW one. I will have to study it more closely to see if here is a way to change the screen view type.

10. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sure. Look over to the top right (on my basic view image) and you can click Standard View to change it.

As gmail loads, if it is loading with the red trimmed envelope, look to the bottom right and you can select basic html. This will set it to fast loading. When it loads, you have to select make Basic HTML the default, if that's whay you want.