1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Fusion 5 laptop cannot boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MikeP, Nov 13, 2020.

1. MikeP

MikeP

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have a Fusion 5 laptop 2 years old and the power button key which is on the keyboard will not work. Is there any other way to boot up this laptop. It is fully charged. Any advice much appreciated.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello Mike and welcome. There is no secret way to start your computer. The power button is the only way.

If it has a removable main battery, remove it and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then install the battery and try the power button.

Does it show any signs of life at all?

IJAC likes this.
  3. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yeah, I wonder if the button is physically damaged and not working, or if its function is just not registering with the system. Resetting the power using Tony's suggestion might help. If there are cookie or potato chip crumbs in the switch, a blast or two with some good CRC QD Electronic Cleaner or WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner might work too.

IJAC likes this.
  4. MikeP

MikeP

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the battery is not removeable. There are no buttons on this laptop only the keyboard and one of those keys turns on the power ( should do !) and before the power stopped working a few of the other keys started playing up. when I plug in the charger a light comes on in the hole it is plugged into but no other lights come on.

5. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Let me add a bit to my above comment. Those electrical contact cleaners are safe to use on plastics, but they are not meant to be used to clean plastics. So when using, try to insert the spray nozzle under the button/keycap and into the switch itself.

You could first try a blast of compressed air, either from a properly filtered air compressor or a can of dusting gas. That might dislodge any dust or dirt particle interfering with the switch contacts. But if there is an "oily" foreign body in there, the contact cleaner would be an appropriate and safe solvent for that.

That's not a good sign. I was going to suggest plugging an external keyboard into a USB port, but I'm not sure that will help with the power issue.

I found this, but not sure it can help if you are stuck in "off".

IJAC, allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.
  6. MikeP

MikeP

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you, I will try one of these contact cleaners.

7. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well, with you having problems with multiple keys, not sure a dirty contact is your problem. :( Sadly, I think your keyboard is failing.

8. MikeP

MikeP

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yes I am beginning to believe this as well !! To be honest I made a mistake in buying this Fusion Laptop, had it for 2 years and always been problems. I will stick to my old favourites in future - HP - Lenovo etc.

9. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well, my 11 year old Toshiba is still going strong but sadly, Toshiba is no longer making laptops.

Lenovo makes some good products, but sadly, the company cannot be trusted. To many recurring incidents of malware being installed at the factories leading many to believe the Chinese government has their fingers pulling too many strings.

I've had okay luck with HP - same with Dell. Frankly, I wish there was a build-it-yourself industry for laptops based on an ATX type form factor standard like there is for PCs. But because the big players will never come to a consensus like that again, it will never happen. So we consumers are stuck with proprietary (read: expensive, difficult to maintain or upgrade) laptops if we need a mobile computer.

IJAC likes this.
  10. MikeP

MikeP

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Completely agree.