1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Online SQL Server?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by handan2002, Jul 9, 2004.

1. handan2002

handan2002 Member

Hi everybody,

I'm making a forum for my school and as it turns out, the school's ISP does not allow for any databasing. The only option for me is to find a free host that will support it, and then set up a redirection page on the school ISP's webpage to the new host.

I was just wondering if any of you knew of any hosts on the internet that will provide some free space and allow for basic databases?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Oh yea, forgot to mention this before- is there any free foruming software that only uses php or cgi scripts? that'll make my life a lot more convenient. :)

2. GavinO

GavinO Distinguished Long Term member

I'm not aware of any free hosts that support databases; its a fairly large service to supply for free. Prohosting and Netfirms both offer Perl/CGI support with their free packages, though (unsure about PHP). As for software, YaBB is free, written in Perl, and uses a flatfile (no need for a database, good for super-budget hosting). phpBB is also free, but requires mySQL and PHP support on the server, which usually means you're paying for space or running the server.

3. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

Here you go.

http://www.freesql.org/

I knew I had seen this site before and once you posted I found it on an old floppy of favorites I had lying arround.

4. handan2002

handan2002 Member

Great! Thanks to both of you!

5. handan2002

handan2002 Member

Great! Thanks to both of you!

With the YaBB forum software, I was wondering how much space it would take up if there was large amounts of posts? The school ISP only offers 8MB and that's not a lot. If it uses a lot more than that in practice, I'll probably go with Bob's recommended freesql and set up PHPBB2.

6. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

The data that will be inserted after install will be very little. 8megs isn't a whole lot. You would only be able to handle a few users and a couple thousand posts.

7. handan2002

handan2002 Member

OK, i might have to opt for the SQL option then. Thanks for your advice!

8. GavinO

GavinO Distinguished Long Term member

If you're anticipating high volume, you definately want a database-based solution. YaBB's flatfiles are fine for small stuff, but for any large volume you're going to run into serious speed and corruption issues.

9. handan2002

handan2002 Member

Well, unfortunately, I found that freesql.org is no solution.

firstly, it forbids forum databases on there.

even if I ignored that rule, there's also a problem with the database access, as the number of accesses allowed in a 1 hour block is no more than 100 times. Since each user accesses the database around 70 times in less than 10 mins, the forum'll be pretty empty by my estimates.

:(

I might have to revert to YaBB after all...

Also, just wondering, if I have only around 10-15 users online at any one time, is it likely for the file corruption issue to be too bad?