1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Flashplayer not working after FireFox update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello, back with another issue...

Running W7 HP 64 bit on Dell desktop. This morning updated FireFox to v. 62.0.3 and Flashplayer no longer works on that browser, although it does work on Google. FP version is 31.0.0.108, the latest update. Suggestions?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That may not be a bad thing. Many users don't use Flash because of security concerns.

That said, try downloading Flash directly from the manufacturer, Adobe. Use your FireFox browser and point it to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    What site(s) in particular is flash not working?

If I remember, I had a problem with YouTube.
    FF_plugins.jpg
    Do you have these 3 plugins? Are they set to always activate?
    I think I had flash set to ask to activate but I never got the popup asking me if I wanted to allow it. So YouTube didn't play.

Rustys likes this.
  4. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Re FlashPlayer not working- The radar on the NOAA weather site does not display. Not sure what else, it was a problem getting FireFox to boot up at all after their update. When I finally got straightened out, I had no more time to check any other sites for FP problems.

I am not married to FP, that's just what came with the original software package. What would be a better alternative?

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Ah yes, the dreaded FF updates.

Just use Chrome and be done with it.

6. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I stopped using Chrome and the Google search engine when I found out how intrusive they are, tracking my history and looking over my shoulder. But this morning, the first day after the latest update, Firefox took several minutes to load, previously about a minute. FF is also slow now with acting on inputs in general. I may have to reconsider my distaste of Big Brother.

7. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Let me fire up FF ESR (new version) and see if NOAA radar displays. I usually run Palemoon (comparable to old FF) and it works fine there.
    I have an internet friend who if I remember had a problem with NOAA and FF. If you can't get it, I'll ask him.

This works for me
    https://www.weather.gov/Radar

8. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Reset your Firefox, reinstall Flash as I suggest in post #2. Report back with your findings.

9. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the responses. Tony, I did what you suggest twice yesterday, no joy. plodr, the link you cited brings me to the "national radar mosaic", clicking on the map gets me to my local map (Boston radar) and shows a static, i.e. not looped, radar image. Before this mess, I had no trouble getting the radar loop but now, trying that brings up "FireFox not responding..." and I couldn't even get back to this or any other site to post back to you. I had to go to Chrome to get any usable Internet access. Refreshing FF brought up nothing I could work with, just as it was this morning, when I left it and walked away for quite a while. When I got back, my usual opening page was there, I think it was at least 10 minutes. And now you could probably time FF responses to requests for sites with an hourglass.

I hate to fall back to the clutches of Chrome, but this FF update really screwed things up.

10. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Update- FF is now working normally after I......did absolutely nothing. No idea what has been going on with this, since, as a non-tech user, I'm just along for the ride. But it all started when the latest FF update was installed. The suggestions I had from the Mozilla techs called for all kinds of elaborate procedures, only some of which I understood, and in the end I was planning to abandon FF. The Flash issue was just a part of the general dysfunction. In any case, FF currently seems back on track, and at least for now I can avoid returning to Chrome. My thanks for the responses- this is my go-to site when I'm tormented by the computer!

11. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I set FF ESR as a backup browser.
    I use Palemoon as my day to day browser since it is based on the old FF extension system and is faster to do everything.

If Chrome works but you don't want to use it, try Vivaldi. It is based on Chromium which is less invasive than Chrome. I refuse to install Chrome on any Windows computer but I do have Vivaldi on my 2 Windows 7 computers. (Trying to learn how to tweak it can be daunting).
    https://vivaldi.com/

Each browser uses a different flash update.
    IE uses activex, FF/Mozilla browsers use NPAPI, and Vivaldi uses PPAPI.
    I usually go here https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2018/09/adobe-flash-player-and-air-updates.html
    to grab the updates. They come directly from the Adobe ftp site and have NO extras that need to be unselected during the install.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  12. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for this info. I'll wait to see if FF behaves, and if not, change per your suggestions. A related question is, since Flash is about to expire, what should we replace it with?

13. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Your internet privacy, history, security, etc, has little to nothing to do with the browser you choose.

14. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  15. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Rustys and Slowpoke47 like this.
  16. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Again, my thanks. On this forum I get explanations I can understand.

It seems a glitch has occurred- starting yesterday I no longer get email notifications when there is a post added to my thread. Just checked my preferences, and the correct box is still checked. I use gmail. Just checked here this morning to review and there are two new posts.