1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally got a laser printer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Seth Anthony, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I got so sick of the ink face palms, that I bit the bullet and got a monochrome Brother printer / scanner for $60.00. In a one sentence review: Where have you been all my life:)

It's so smooth and quite that it makes my old ink printer seem like the appliances you see from the 1920's and 1930's that resemble medieval torture devices. lol

Like with any printer, I set the the print quality to the lowest level that still produced decent quality text.

BTW- I still use my old trusty flip phone. They're laughably cheap to buy second hand, very compact, and virtually indestructible.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    About time. My laser printer is years old and still works fine. I bought it when everyone was using XP. There are no current drivers available for my HP 1012, but I've found other drivers that allow it to work with W7 and W10. I have no need for color printing. The few times I want to print a photo, I take it to the drug store and get a nice print for about 30 cents. No muss, no fuss.

I too have a flip phone. It is however also a smart phone running Android 6. I do like the fact that you can fold the phone and not worry about needing a screen protector. These used to be available for about $175. I checked eBay and the price has increased.

3. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That is one elegant flip phone Tony.

I don't use my phone for web browsing, and rarely text. This is the one I use that can be had for $10 second hand (like similar flip phones).

a3ac5580938b1cd43144ece456151065._.jpg

4. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    The only problem that I had with one of my flip phone was the battery gave out. That was the only time that I ever upgraded.

I have an old 2006 laser printer that I got from a business that closed it doors. Still prints like a chap and the most I have had to do to is clear the dust.

Finally getting the stations to convert from inkjets to laser.

5. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    The inkjets that I've used had three print quality modes: Draft, Normal, and Photo. Draft looked great for my purposes, so that's what I used to save a lot of ink.

The Laser printer, has Econo Mode, FastRes 600, and FastRes 1200. Econo Mode is readable, but too fragmented and unprofessional looking for my customer invoices. FastRes 600 is totally fine though.