1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Files from laptop to SSD to TV

Discussion in 'Backup and Recovery' started by Samui13, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Samui13

Samui13

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi I have a lot of videos on a laptop, that I want to watch on my TV. I have purchased a Samsung T7 SSD to transfer the files onto from the laptop,and then play the files on my Samsung TV. This bit is straight forward I think. My question is this. I also use 2 macbooks and also have video files on them that I would like to transfer onto the SSD and then play on the TV. Do I just need to partition the SSD say 50%+50% to allow for me to do this? If this is the thing to do, am I better off doing the partition via one of my macbooks or via my laptop

2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Attach the laptop to the tv by an HDMI cable. Done. I've done this a few times even watching YouTube streaming videos on the tv.
    Sorry I can't help with the macbooks.

Beware: never transfer files always copy. If something happens while you are transferring/moving, the file is gone. If you instead copy, and something happens, the files is still on the source and you can attempt to copy it again.
    Of course it is good to have a file that you don't want to lose in 2 or more places.

3. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    To add to what Plodr suggested, there are devices that will transmit wirelessly to the TV.

Also, I have no idea of the capability of the TV and what file systems it can read, but Macs can read the Window's file system, but Windows can't read the Mac file system without a special program. If you want to use an external drive for both computers, then format the drive with ExFat as both Mac and Windows can read that file system.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  5. Samui13

Samui13

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the replies. The laptop where I have a lot of the files will not be getting used once I have transferred the files, I will be selling it as soon as I have the files on the T7. In the future I will only be using my MBPs. Good point regarding copying rather than transferring files. As for connecting the laptop to my TV, the TV is in my holiday home, soon to be my permanent residence. As for the files on the MBPs I would rather get the files off of it and onto the T7 SSD as they are taking up a lot of GB and editing programs like FCPX has slowed down. So I'm still not sure whether to format the ssd on my laptop or one of my MBPs

6. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You can format the drive as exFAT on either the Mac or the Windows laptop. It doesn't matter.

Tony D likes this.
  7. Samui13

Samui13

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Excellent. Thank you.

8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800