1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

File maintenance in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 8biosdrive, Feb 10, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I've heard that it's not necessary nor a good idea to use third party file maintenance tools, such as System Mechanic, in Windows 10. I've also heard that internet security tools, such as Norton Security, aren't necessary either. Is this true?

I understand that Disk Cleanup can be scheduled and won't run during times of active computer use, which wasn't the case in earlier Windows versions. It appears that Windows Defender has also been improved, but can it perform all of the security functions of Norton? With improved disk speeds, file fragmentation isn't as much of a problem as in the past, but is it really not a good idea to use an all-in-one file maintenance tool in Windows 10? Thanks for any advice.

2. IJAC

IJAC Moderator Moderator

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Not sure if it is not necessary nor a good idea but I never liked those all in one maintenance programs.Disk cleanup can be set up on a schedule also.De-fragmenting of hard drives is done automatically.If you have SSD drives it will optimize them and not defrag them.

Yes windows own antivirus has been improved and it is much easier on resources than Norton or McAfee.The big two from days of old in my opinion have become bloated and resource heavy.From what I've heard and read MS antivirus is just as good as Norton. I don't use either one so I can't give you a answer as a user just my opinion.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Rustys like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I echo a lot of IJAC's comments. I see no need for apps like System Mechanic in any OS, unless maybe there's a problem.

About protection, first know that no software will protect you 100%. The malware writers and the malware protectors play a cat-and-mouse game. I prefer having more protection than what comes with Windows, even W10. I'll pass on Norton and McAfee. Checkout our recommended software forum at https://computerhelpforums.com/forums/chf-recommended-software.93/