1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

External SSD Recovery Help

Discussion in 'External and Flash Drives' started by Sturmaxt, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Sturmaxt

Sturmaxt

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    You're going to laugh... I accidently deleted my 1TB external SSD. At the time I didn't understand how "deleting" worked. I downloaded software to recover the files, and thinking that the files were "moved / deleted" *onto* my laptop, I installed the software on the 1TB drive...

Yeeeaaahhhh…. So as I learned I wrote onto to drive, and when I competed running a "deep scan" with the software, it only found 600+ files out of over 3500, and Windows tells me most of these (mostly work documents) are corrupted.

So after realizing what I had done, I contacted a forensic recovery service found online. I sent them the laptop and hard 1TB drive.

$198 dollars later, their communication is suspiciously cryptic. They said they cannot recover anything on the laptop, but they can recover files from the 1TB.

I then sent two emails asking the following questions repeatedly, and only got a response after texting the phone rep who was happy to get me on the hook for there service.

1- I asked how many files they found hoping to compare the number to the 600+ I was able to recover, but they are not giving me a direct answer.

2- I also asked how many files are corrupted. Again, no direct answer.

When she did get back to me, all she said was that the files they recover will be RAW.

I've since researched this online, but cannot determine if I should proceed with the recovery they are offering. It will be just over $1000 to recover the RAW files.

Online I only find adds selling more software to recover / restore RAW files, corrupted files, etc.

I have no idea if paying the $1000 will give me anything usable... And they certainly have not said anything about offering to restore the files. That is the next question I will ask them.

Here is what I am thinking and I'm hoping to get some insight:

I believe I ruined the 1TB SSD drive and the data is indeed corrupted like my software said. Because of this' they are not pushing me to do the recovery and are being quiet and cryptic with there responses. If I decided to spend the money, they would do it, but they want to be in a position of not claiming any usability of the files. Their contract was very clear they accept no liability, which I totally get.

I'm troubled that they won't just give me a straight assessment of the situation, and I take that to mean it isn't good.

What are your thoughts?

If I obtained the RAW files, would buying software to "restore RAW files" actually do much? I'm guessing it would be hit and miss... The software claims it can recover corrupted files too, but again I'm dubious and suspect I will get mixed results.

I'm wondering if there is an alternative to using this company? During the sales pitch they made it sound like their "forensic recovery" was better than what I had already done, but I'm guessing that it amounts to the same thing...

Anyone with insight who would be willing to help out would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2. Sturmaxt

Sturmaxt

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I meant to say most files are "Word" documents. Also many PDF and photos. This is the company I'm dealing with:

https://www.digitalforensics.com/

Anyone have experience with them or have an impression of how good they are?

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'm not familiar with that place. They have a lot of locations. There are a gazillion places that claim they can recover data from SSDs. I'd call around and talk to them. Tell them that your drive has not failed, that you deleted the data. Get someone who can give you answers before spending $1K.

The only place I'm familiar with is DriveSavers ( https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/ ) who have been in business for a long time.
    Also, check https://www.prosofteng.com/hard-drive-recovery-service/ I don't know if they do SSDs.

Sturmaxt and IJAC like this.
  4. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Never dealt with any of these types before but I believe they or any business like this should give you a straight answer. I would look around for some one else if it were me. There are plenty of this type of businesses around. This company looks like they are more into legal and other types of business. You just need a data recovery company not so much the forensic part I believe. I do know that they are rather expensive to get your data back and if it is a SSD I am not sure they can. Data recovery is not part of my business I just try to recover my own files if I mess up the way you did. This is a specialized type of business from what I understand. You could try this guy I am not affiliated with him I just watch his you tube videos. https://rossmanngroup.com/

Sturmaxt and Tony D like this.
  5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    If the drive is not physically damaged, then all they do is run a recovery program just like you have.

A recovery service is only beneficial if the drive has physical damage. In that case, the recovery lab can physically repair the drive to access the files.

Sturmaxt likes this.
  6. Sturmaxt

Sturmaxt

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    That's what I was beginning to think too...

7. Sturmaxt

Sturmaxt

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you!

8. Sturmaxt

Sturmaxt

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yep- I think I need to get a reasonable quote... and the company should also fully recover the files from RAW / corrupted condition.