1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Error Reading Disks On Autorun

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by DavidAdamson, Jul 7, 2012.

1. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi everyone I've just registered today as I'm pretty fed up of one specific problem with my dvd drive related specifically to autorun when I first put disks in. Specifically, it has no problems reading music and film disks, however, when it comes to using game disks, it brings up the options like a music or film disk.

It usually brings up the following options with autorun with game disks:

mixed content options:

Play (using windows media player)
    Create disk (using dvd suite)
    Import pictures and videos (using windows)

etc, none of which related to games (or other installable software).

In autoplay options I have the settings

Audio CD: choose default (ie not currently set)
    DVD movie: play DVD movie using windows media player
    Software and games: Install or run program from your media - this is not what it is giving me the correct options for on autoplay.

Note however than I am still able to play games with no problems off disks if I manually start them, so all the problem is really doing is preventing me from installing anything that can't be downloaded, which I would quite like to do. I can't quite remember when the problem first came up, it has been quite a while now, but I'm about 99% sure it was within the last year.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi David.Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    Are you trying to install a game straight off a game Disc CD?

3. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    That is ideally what I'd like to do yes. Unfortunately the problem occurs regardless of whether I'm trying to install or just play games, even though the already installed ones still work if I manually start them.

4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    These types of CD's have a copyright block which prevents you from doing this.
    There are Hacks, however I can't help you with a work around. Sorry. :smile2:

5. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Sorry i may have misunderstood your previous post. Basically I'm looking to buy another copy of a game I've had due to losing the previous copy and install it on my laptop computer to then run from the disk. This is what my problem with the drive is preventing me from doing due to the read error.

6. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    My impression from your initial post was you already have a disc and you are getting a read error.
    You buy a Game CD from the vendor and I would be surprised if it didn't read.
    You can run the Microsoft "FIXIT" if you think there is a read error.
    http://support.micro..._problems/en-us

7. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I have already tried the fix it solution after seeing it in another thread I saw before posting this one. It hasn't made any difference for running games from disk that I already have installed on my laptop in terms of the correct options showing up in autorun, which is what I would need to even be able to install anything. I have even tried by right clicking on my dvd drive in the "my computer" folder since the problem first occurred and not had any success with that route either. I think it's the autorun feature itself associated with the drive that is having the problems.

8. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, Until DSTM gets back with us, if possible I would like to be sure I myself, and maybe DSTM are understanding the issue properly.

To be quite honest, I was completely confused when this came up last night as I am in no way a game player, but I did have the chance to ask a friend who does understand these things.

So, the games you wish to play are the type that do not fully install the game, they only install what for a better term is a driver plus sometimes a desktop Icon.

If the disk isn't in, and you click the icon, you get a message to put the disk in the drive!

Once the disk is in, then the game opens and away you go.

So, as it stands at the moment Windows is not recognising that there is an installable element within the disk contents, so no driver is installed, no desktop Icon, result being the game can't be played.

If I have that wrong anywhere please say so.

What I think we need first is to know just what is turned on or off in Auto Play.

So from start, type in the search box "Auto Play", in the list click on just the "Auto Play", if ideally you can show us a screen shot of the list that opens up, we may be able to go further.

Nev.

9. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I can play the games if I open them using desktop icons or the start menu so long as the disk is in. It is autoplay itself that is the problem. My autoplay options are as follows:

Most of the time when I put the game disks in it brings up the options for "mixed content", although occasionally it has brought up the "audio CD" options. A typical occurrence is shown below:

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  10. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, in the list for Auto Play, I see mixed content is set to "Ask Me Every Time", click the drop down arrow on it and try selecting "Take No Action" and try it again, It is only a guess here though, so please let us know what happens after changing it.
    If it doesn't work, you can change it to any of the other choices or go back to Ask every time.

Nev.

11. DavidAdamson

DavidAdamson

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Okay I tried that and it actually did nothing when I put the disk in, so it's still reading it the same as before.