1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

dxgmms2.sys Bluescreen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dermeister, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Dermeister

Dermeister Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    A month ago I got a new GPU and I switched my old harddrive out and reformatted and installed a Samsung SSD Paired with a Firecuda from Seagate and now twice in about 3 days I've had this blue screen.I tested my ram by running the ram check tool and it came with no errors that I could see in the log thing. I haven't checked my HDD or SSD yet. But i'm aware it might be drivers or windows file or virus related. I'm just not sure where to start.

2. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Plextor SSD SATA 6 128 GB, WD Velociraptor 150g
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    You could start by opening Device Manager and look for yellow or red flags in the listed entries.

3. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I just checked and it seems in order to me. No flags.

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Additionally, it may be your power supply. Do you have one you can swap out?

5. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    NO I just got the EVGA supernova 850P2 and gave my old 700 to a friend :( sadly

6. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Dermeister, it might be worth it to retest your RAM, a little differently. Do you know how many sticks of RAM you have? Take out one at a time (after shutting down the computer) and boot. Then repeat with the other, alternating so you run each stick by itself. If the machine's performance changes you may have a bad stick of RAM.

7. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have 2x 8 gigs and yea I will try that. Let it be known in the past 2 days my pc has not Blue screened yet. And I've been gaming intensively

8. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Update it did it again while I was gaming. The sound kept looping and the blue screen came up.

9. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Do you have your old GPU? I'd suggest you reinstall it for comparison purposes. If the machine behaves with the old card, you have discovered the problem.

10. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    YEa I do the machine was running fine doe I had it for a month I did update recently my AMD drivers... SO I upgraded the drivers again and removed 1 ram stick..... so I will run the machine like this for a while if it doesn't crash I will swap my ram stick... see if it runs ok for a while....So I will eliminate the ram as the problem. Then ill try to swap The GPU.... I hate trouble shooting i'm so worried it's an expensive part >_<! DO you think it's my PSU? I mena it is a brand new Evga 850P2 Which is platinum 80+ ... so I have a hard tiem convincing myself it's my PSU....

11. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    I wouldn't suspect a new PSU but there have been some I've heard of. I'm more interested in finding out how you get on with the old GPU.

12. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have a stinky feeling it's the gpu or the GPU drivers... since that's the last thing i changed b4 the problem showed up. Before my driver update everything was running fine.

I installed newer drivers.. so right now i'm just running the system and waiting to see when it will happen but the thing is the crash is not consistent... I can go a days with out it happening.. then BAM! next day it happens... then it won't happen again for another day or 2... I keep checking the blue screen log and it's always the same thing.... that DXgmms2.sys.... so I will surely report back when it happens again .. I don't want to change anything else as it is more easy to keep track of the troubleshooting when I only modify one or 2 parts at a time... so right now I have updated GPU drivers and only 1 stick of ram.... so I will see if it was my ram or the GPU drivers...if it happens again I will know it's probably not the GPU drivers... as I performed a fresh install with DDU. And moved up the driver version..I will also swap the Ram stick if it happens again as it might be indication that that one stick is messed up BUT!! Would I notice Performance degradation if I was running with a single bad stick? because right now with that one stick Windows is just as snappy I don't see any slow downs....

P.S after those steps I think the next logical step is as you say" swap to the old GPU" but I had already committed to ram and driver trouble shoot b4 you suggested the GPU.. so I don't wanna back out of it mid test...

I'm also not opposed to a Reformat but I would rather keep that as last resort as I just finished reinstalling everything maybe 3 weeks ago >_<!

13. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Be sure when you replace the RAM you get them both in the right slots. Numbers 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to take advantage of dual channel memory.

14. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yes of course i'm running a sabretooth 990fx R2 so the ram slots are different colors and easy to ID. :)Right now I have NO1 slot taken by 1 stick.. when I swap them I will put the other 1 in Number 1 slot. IS it likely to be my MB? I think I would have more problems if it was wouldn't I? it would not be a .sys file?

15. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  16. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    "BSOD ERROR dxgmms.sys" does it make a Diff if mine is dxgmms2.sys? it has a 2 at the end

Also when I checked my Device manager i don't have any exclamation points like they speak of in that Link :( BUT when I googled I heard people with NVidia cards have been having Driver crashes due to the same .sys thing as me.. .but I run a AMD card R9 390x Xfx. but it might be that it's on windows side and not the Card maker drivers?

Thank you for the info Every bit helps!

17. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Yes it could be "on the Windows side." Frankly, it's why I'm still using Windows 7. Not all of us are fond of Windows 10 :).
    One of the possibilities that we haven't looked at might be spiking temps. Are you comfortable with getting into the BIOS to check the voltages on the couple of rails, particularly the 12 volt rail?

18. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    IF that were true doe wouldn't others all crash like me? also this means Microsoft will probably fix this in an update soon? This is the first time Since 10 is out that I've ever had a BSOD .. ever! I did love 7 too! but 10 has grown on me I like it because DX12 and i'm a big gammer.

I must admit if 7 could have dx12.. I might of not switched! but! I think 10 is a bit lighter than 7? uses less resources? I have a hard time to believe that because my windows 10 uses more ram on desktop than 7 did.

19. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Personally, I don't count on Microsoft but that's another issue entirely. You didn't answer my question about the BIOS. We are trying to pin down this error by the process of elimination. And RAM and heat are two possibilities, and of course a faulty GPU or maybe GPU memory.

20. Dermeister

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Ohh sorry I din't notice and yes it could be heat My CPU is water-cooled H 100I that runs nice and cool but the GPU makes like 86Deg of heat I have 2 fans at the front sucking cool air and 2 at the top of the case expulsing hot air. I monitor temps with Corsair link and Speccy... The crash also happens in scenarios where i'm browsing the net. so not much strain on the system. But it's very possible Also i'm super comfortable to Reboot and Press Del and go check in the bios but I would need a screen shot of my Sabretooth 990fx R2 to find the specific location of the information you are asking. As I Rarely had to go mess in my bios in the past. But if you give me guidance I will gladly go look

Both my SSD and hard drives are at 30C

2 sensors on the MB 45 deg the other 32 Deg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017